WWJP (What Would Jaco Play)?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Axtman, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    If Jaco were alive today what would he play?

2. 4001

4001 Inactive

Sep 29, 2004
    Lake County, IL
    His Fender Jazz Bass "Bass of Doom" through a couple of Acoustic heads and cabs.

3. Ipod

4. alfaBAT9

alfaBAT9

Apr 12, 2009
    Toronto, ON
    Badminton?

5. archer121

archer121

Apr 12, 2009
    Death metal

6. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I think that he would play an EUB!

7. archer121

archer121

Apr 12, 2009
    ^speaks the truth

8. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    :bag:your bass

9. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Question is, if he was still alive, would he even be able to play at all by now?

:atoz:

We'll never know.

But for the fun of it, I say fretted Telecaster bass or a Alembic 7-string fretted something or other. Now prove me wrong!!!

:D

But seriously, I think he would have ultimately become more of a piano player than he was, and we might now be talking about Jaco the pianist and Jaco the composer at least as much as we all talk about Jaco the bass player.

10. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    a fretless Fender Stratocaster

11. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    He'd still be blowin a pretty tune on the crack pipe.

I kid, I kid

12. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Whatever bass he had in his hands....like always!

13. Sadowsky

14. +1000

15. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Zon Hyberbass. Obviously.

16. gafman

gafman

Dec 18, 2009
    Sydney - Australia
    I have found this to be a thought provoking thread. I once seen an ad with Jaco promoting/endorsing a Guild Pilot (Jazz style) bass. It just looked kind of strange considering his close affiliation with the Fender Jazz Bass. Like seeing Jimi Hendrix with an Ibanez in hand. What would he be playing today?
    I can only think that it would be a J style bass and he would be rocking that thing like nothin' else.

17. Let's just say that Jaco got professional medical treatment in line with what a high-profile business professional or business executive would have access to... That he had the good fortune to participate in an industry that valued him and his talent instead of feeding him through a human meatgrinder. Or you can believe in the magical and fantastic world of artists who's psychosis is somehow integral to their greatness, or understand that it is a valuable lie told by music industry rapists who laugh all the way to the bank. The crack pipe jokes are funny, mainly to people who either though their employer, or mommy and daddy, have access to real medical treatment options. They get to pretend that Jaco was some kind of party animal who didn't know when to say when.

Your bass. That is what you want to hear. He would play your bass if he somehow managed to live through his mental illness, and his desperate life of inadequate self-medication with street drugs.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled campfire!

18. thanos_lee

thanos_lee

Aug 26, 2006
    upright

19. One of these, but as a bass:

[​IMG]

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021