X-mas Gift Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WildBill, Dec 6, 2003.

1. WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Ive been playing bass for about 5 years now, I have a few fenders, 2 jazzes and one p-bass. They all have rosewood necks, I was wondering what I could get for X-mas to take care of the body and neck of my basses. Ive gone to Musicians Friend and looked through all their polishes and neck oils and I cant make a decision. So please, if you could give me your opinion on what to use to help my fretboard I'd be grateful.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Soap and a toothbrush. That's all. Maybe a razor for really sticky crud.
  3. WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Wouldnth the soap dry out the board, I though rosewood was a very absorbent wood.
  4. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    The best way to take care of an instrument is to wipe down the strings and frets with a rag/towel/old T-shirt after your done playing....every time. As for the body, a standard polishing cloth (sold at just about every music store) and a small bit of guitar polish sprayed on the cloth, NOT the bass itself, will to the trick to remove dust and fingerprints. The old-style Martin guitar polish in the spray bottle works good and doesn't have anything harmful in the solution that would hurt your finish. They changed the forumla at one point (I think), and a lot of guys with valuable instruments, especially acoustics, abandoned it. Not sure if they've switched back to the old foumula or not.

As for the neck, you should probably give it a good wipe-down every time you change your strings. Again, use a towel or rag to work over the frets and get any oil, sweat, and other residue outta there. Do the same to the surface of the board. This is also a great time to re-oil the board itself. If you have a maple board that is finished (and they all should be), there is no reason to add moisture back into the board....you can't through the finish anyway. However, for your RW boards, it's smart to reintroduce a bit of moisture back into the wood from time to time. Just a bit, though. You can use a guitar-specialty product, like Gibson's fretboard conditioner, or you can use a bit of lemon oil. This will not only help to remove dirt, oil, and sweat from the surface, but it will also decrease the liklihood of the fretboard from getting too dry and cracking.

Nevertheless, there really isn't a need to spend $50 on a bass care kit from one of the large bass makers. Just like a car, regular maintenance is your best bet. Along with an occasional detailing, it should provide decades of worry-free playing. :D :bassist: