1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

x rays?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by jimmyduded, Mar 7, 2008.

1. jimmyduded

jimmyduded

Jun 12, 2007
    cherry hill nj
    while looking through uptons repair site i saw they use x rays to see cracks in instuments...:eyebrow: what hospital in their right mind would put a db on the table and x ray it haha, and i cant imagine they have their own, does anyone know how they do this? im quite intrigued, for now however ill stick with my good ol uv light and orange glasses

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Actually, they did that to find nails in the scroll. Not only do they have their own x-ray machine, but they're installing an MRI too so that you can have your body scanned while your bass is being repaired. I'm not sure if they'll accept Blue Cross though.

3. jimmyduded

jimmyduded

Jun 12, 2007
    cherry hill nj
    haha, i just found it a bit strange on the process

4. dvmweb

dvmweb

Apr 20, 2002
    Atlanta MI 49709
    I use an X-Ray machine regularly, I am a veterinarian in my other life.

An X-ray machine is used for lots of stuff, eg. checking welds on pipes, looking for crack in aircraft parts, at airports for security, lots of other uses.

An old X-Ray machine I had was donated to an archeological Expedition in Chile to study mummies.

Walt MI/USA

5. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    If I remember right, at the time Aubrey Birkhamshaw was working for a vet.

That was a very unusual case -- a pretty nice old bass with a scroll was chock-full of screws and nails. I imagine that on the one hand they wanted to "do it right" and not miss one, and on the other hand they probably thought it would be fun.

Publicly-funded, single-payor bass-purchase support. THERE'S a notion!

6. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    That's a great idea.
    Another good use might be with checking urban trees.
    There are many urban trees that are cut and either hauled to the landfill or burned for firewood that might be suitable for use in making musical instruments. However most makers stay away from urban woods and most wood cutters don't want them becuase they are afraid of hitting nails in the trees when cutting them. A few years ago there was a city that was taking all of its Lombardy poplar trees down, but nobody I talked to wanted to work with them for fear of hitting nails that may have been driven into them over the years when people were putting signs on them.

7. yea,daily prob. on the head rig in a sawmill..worse yet down stream when it crashes the planer and profilers..big buck$ though for that white oak paneling with imbedded miniballs from the battlefields of Gettysburg;)

8. Sheesh; send those trees to me; I'll deal with'em! I can always fix my tools, and I don't always have the money to buy wood! :p Now if I had some really great tools... but if I did, I'd probably have the $$$ for great wood, too! heheh...

9. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    One thing to remember about those urban trees, is that contrary to popular belief, the wood does NOT move upward with the growth of the tree, so if you whack the lower eight feet off the trunk you can pretty much bet that all the nails are gone (barring tree-houses, and the like, of course). It is really unlikely that any spikes will be higher than that.

I would have jumped at the chance of using those Lombardy poplar trees...I have seen some great figure in Lombardy poplar.

10. get out of here..you mean a tree grows from the top:rolleyes:
    lombardy poplar= another invasive landscape architectural scheme..short lived does not do well in this country... host to all sorts of nastiness...figurewood has to be the reflex action from the constant barage of pestilence,and disease... er..i love their look in the old country;)

11. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I just pretended I was listening to Nine Inch Nails and that I'd been shrunk to the size of a grain of sand that was lodged inside the stem of a q-tip... ah, good times.

12. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    Hmmmm, I'm old, mishapen and probably only grew from the top. Maybe they'll find some nails in me too?

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Are you worth more than 50k!!?? :p