Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

XL Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Oct 27, 2005.

1. I saw an ad for XL strings on the top of this webpage yesterday. They claimed to have "Piano-like tone". Is this true? I've been looking for some new strings, something bright and clean sounding but with a good deal of low end. How are XL's?

BTW-I usually use Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky's, and D'addario Chromes on my fretless.

2. I really don't like D'Addarios, so I wouldn't reccomend it, but that's just me. Also, Rotosound and DR make really good steel strings, if that's what you're looking for. Much better than D'Addarios, IMO.

3. D'Addario XL's give a bit of a "chimey" like tone...not everyone's cup of tea...

I've got a set of XL's on a cheapo bass and are quite satisfied with their tone, for now...they're a very responsive string...so they'll definitely test your technique.

4. I've been looking to try Rotosounds, but for some reason the Guitar Center near me never has them. But I've also heard somewhere (maybe this forum) that Rotos are notorius for coming with 1 dead string in a brand new package? What's that about? I don't wanna waste my money if that's true.

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    The ad is actually for the stainless steel ProSteel line and not what we traditionally think of as nickel "XLs" - D'addario has seemed to have renamed all their non-coated strings with the prefix XL (i.e. "XL ProSteels", "XL Nickel Wound", "XL Chromes", etc.)

...but yes, they are very nice for more of a "piano-like" sound then nickel strings in the low-end, as well as a "chime" on the high-end and harmonics.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I do like my nickel XL's. They have a wonderful tone, and are very consistent. They also tend to last a while. It especially helps when you wipe down your strings with a dry cloth after playing/

7. Cool. Thanks guys, I think I'm gonna have to get a set of these pretty soon. I just broke my G-string on my Schecter and that set was over 6 months old anyway, so I think I'm gonna try something new.

8. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I've used D'Addario nickle round wounds (XL-170's .45 .65 .80 .100) for 15 or so years, I love em. Never, ever had a bad or "dead" string.

:bassist:

9. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    I use XL Nickels. They are good for my taste ;)

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    +1. All true for me as well.

I use regular XL Nickel's on most of my basses, but on my more modern basses I prefer the Prosteels for their chimey-ness and piano-likeness.