1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Xsonics 2155CF First Impressions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RockNRollAl, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Xsonics 2155CF just arrived last night. Plugged in my Roscoe LG3005 and the cab is solid all the way down to the low B. No drop off at all. Smooth all the way up the neck. Very consistent throughout. Nice growl coming from my Roscoe - I can't wait to hear how my Gretsch sounds through this. Then I turned the amp (I was using a WT-405) halfway up and told my girlfriend to brace herself - KABOOM! This cab gets LOUD!

I'm used to playing through a WT-1205 with four D210XST cabs. This cab has the bottom end of the D210XST, but sounds closer to my D410XLT. I haven't done an A/B listening test, yet...

Then, I plugged in my Line6 Variax guitar - the sound is excellent, reproducing all of the different guitar models (the acoustic models just sparkle). The midrange speaker is a great addition to the cab.

Now, I'm waiting for the second cab... ;)

[​IMG]

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.338288869606100.1073741826.323689421066045&type=1

2. What woofers are in the 2155?

3. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    KAPPALITEĀ™ 3015. Amazing speakers!!!

4. Crossed over with a faital mid?

I know those 3015's have a bit of upper mid aggression that a lot of folk love, and the rest hate. Have you done one of these with the faital 15PR400?

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Why is this surprising? I've got the Fatial 6pr150 in my LDS 15/6 (with a kappa) and it sounds fantastic.

6. Surprise nothing.

The faital is a great mid driver. The question was for clarification.

7. Ncognito

Jan 8, 2002
    Yes, I use the Faital 5" for my 3-way boxes and LOVE it. I bought a pair of Faital 10pr300's and 12pr300's and tried them in the Xsonics cabinets. They are terrific speakers for sure! For me they were a bit too mellow. I prefer a little more bite. It could always be EQ'ed out for a guy who didn't want it there, but that edginess is rather difficult to add to a speaker that doesn't have it to start with.

8. Yeah the faitals are a little mellower, and a softer low end.

That said the 15PR400 does go higher than the 3015. I was wondering if you had a comparison on the mid/uppermids between a mid loaded 3015 cab and a non mid loaded 15PR400 cab. Not sure how the balance would go with/out a mid driver on either of those speakers.

9. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    I had just heard of these very recently and oddly at a time where I am podering getting a new cabinet. If anyone has some input for me about my tone goal please let loose.
    I currently use an Ampeg 810 - and not because I love to haul it around, but because I love the tone - though I would be happier with a bit more top end. For the record I never have to really open this fridge up, I like the head room but will likely never use it's full potential.
    My rainy day backup cab is a avatar TB153 - I like the tone of this, but sometimes it seems ever so slightly too small to carry a room without PA support with my band and for some reason I keep blowing the fuse for the mid driver which bugs me beyond belief. I am looking for something that leans to the 810 tone in a smaller package and have been looking at the fEarful stuff and now this Xsonic cab. Any comments are much appreciated as at least one here has used this cab.
    Thanks!!

10. Do you like the tone you get from your TB 153? and is it a 3015LF loaded cab?

In either case I think the Xsonic stuff will sound a bit difference from your Avatar, and quite a bit different from your 810e.

If you are down sizing, what is your realistic volume need?

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    The 3015 / Fatial mid is a great combination. Plenty of umph in the low end without the brittle high mids of some other mid drivers.

12. Ncognito

Jan 8, 2002
    Thanks guy

My findings exactly!

13. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    Al,

Glad you love it. It is a real butt kicker for it's size and will hold it's own against much larger set ups. My 215CF will bury the pair of 210s I was running. I am not just talking volume but tone as well. It is defined and tight with a wonderful low end. I only have the 215CF and not your 2155CF but mine aren't missing a thing. I know everyone has their taste but these fit my tone pallet.
    I do wonder why the same crap is drug in to every thread having to do with first impressions of Xsonics cabinets? These are Al's first impressions... not a technical speech of numbers and B.S. Can peoples first impressions be their first impression? I am just wondering if that is possible? Or do I need to go threads about other companies and start nit picking the intangible or irrelevant . If it sounds great it sounds great . So let us all keep the right to like or hate what we want and let those who are using them have the right to decide as to its worth and usefulness as a usable cabinet.

14. I assume this is directed at me.

How is asking what drivers are used, and if this cab was available with different drivers, and the genuine interest on the tonal difference between those two set ups dragging in tech speak and numbers? :rollno:

15. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    If you assume that then you just may be wrong. Any one who knows me knows that I DO NOT IMPLY anything. If I have it to say I quote then speak.

16. I haven't tried the cabs with the mid driver and/or tweeter switched out yet. (There are switches on the back of the cab to do this.) I did realize this morning that I had the mid driver level control cranked up by mistake, but it sounded great nonetheless. The amp and bass EQ were all set flat; I'll experiment with those later...

17. Im curious to hear about your impressions of the cab with the mid disabled, and with it padded back a bit. That faital is a pretty sweet sounding mid, so I wonder how you will like the 3015's on their own.

18. Ncognito

Jan 8, 2002
    I too will be anxious to hear about impressions of the 2155CF in 2-way mode versus 3-way mode from some users. I originally didn't feel a need for a mid driver in conjunction with the 3015 drivers, but after designing, building, and playing through the 2155CF I'm hooked. The 5" Faital made something great even greater.

19. Yeah those mid drivers DO add something. I think you really notice it when you are right on top of the cab. That added dispersion adds a TON of clarity to what you hear.

20. Ncognito

Jan 8, 2002
    I said it before, you're a smart dude CL400Peavey !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.