1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yahoo Fantasy NHL time

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Lee (QSC), Sep 21, 2010.

1. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio!

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It's time again to drop the puck and get the Talkbassers on Ice league going again. I've sent out a reminder to all of last season's participants.

Anyone interested, PM me and I'll send you the Yahoo league ID and password. Thanks!

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    We welcome Sandvich Hero on board now!

Keep the PMs coming.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Debating my entry into the league this year... I seem to do well in the beginning of the year but the constant team maintenance kills me since I can't log on from the office for last minute changes.

If they'd only come out with an iPhone app like they did for fantasy football...

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    I've changed some stat categories, adding blocks and hits so that defencemen are more valuable than they used to be.

5. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    PMed

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Welcome Spraeg to the league.

7. I wouldn't worry too much about bottom dwelling, you might not be alone down there :p

8. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I get to be defending champ this year. Wooo!

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Any decent league needs Nordiques fans. ;)

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I gave in. The Dirty Jersey Devils have returned.

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Most excellent! Welcome back.

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
  13. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I'm on board,..checking out the mock draft since I'm new to this,...is the idea to pick up players that you think will have good stats during the year.

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Yes. And because you'll have more players on your roster than active position slots, you'll have to make day to day decisions on who's active and who's on the bench.

15. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Welcome aboard, BTW!

16. I may join up again. I think the last time I did the TB fantasy league everyone stopped playing halfway through haha

17. WUT, day to day ??? What did I get into again :atoz:

kidding

"Fantasy" sports isn't a big thing around here, people will usually only do your basic pick-any-bunch-of-players-and-see-points-go-up pool. So that's a bit new to me too I have to say. I see you can pre-rate your players before sunday's draft though so I'll make sure to be ready !

Maybe a stupid question but I need to ask :-/ : Since we all need to "draft" at the same time, I suppose it's because we can't have a player on more than one team at a time, right ?

18. Spraeg

Spraeg

May 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Exactly, it's a live draft in random order, so that players get split up amongst all the teams. I'd recommend doing a couple of mock drafts just to see how the system works, and use the player ranker to set your own preferred draft order, that way you can set yourself up to get the players you think will do well for you (or the ones you just happen to like), and sneak up on people in the draft. For example- The good Forwards (i.e. Crosby, Ovechkin, etc...) usually go really really quickly, but if you can get away with waiting to draft some of yours, you can grab some great players in the other positions and fill out the rest of your roster later.

You can also pick up players in trades and on waivers later in the season, so it allows for injuries, slumps, etc... beyond injured reserve slots and bench slots.

Also, the League Comissioner (Bob Lee) can set which stats are tracked, to make certain position more or less valuable- as he said above, Defencemen are worth more here than in some leagues (which got me some funny looks in my mock drafts).

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    You don't have to get into it every day. You can set up your daily lineup as far in advance as you want. But you just might want to keep track of injuries, slumps, and stuff and jump in from time to time.

So you won't be shorthanded because of injuries, there are a couple injured reserve (IR) slots on each team. So if one of your players is injured you can move him to the IR for as long as he's out. That frees up a spot on your roster that you can fill with another from the pool of available players (i.e., the free agents) or from a trade with another team in the league.

20. Thanks to both of you for the info. I'll be ready then.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021