Yamaha AES

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spector_Ray, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    I was watching a concert video of King's X and Doug Pinnick was playing a Yamaha bass. When I went to the Yamaha website, it stated that he used AES Custom 4 and 12 string basses. Are these the same Billy Sheehan Attitude basses per se?
  2. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    ...or is it the Attitude Plus?
  3. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    never even heard of a yamaha aes bass, thought they only made aes guitars?
  4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    If I had to guess, Yamaha has Pinnick pose with Attitude Pluses in advertisements because they simply don't have a consumer model of the custom bass he plays. Better to have an endorsee hold some type of model then not use their "power" in the marketplace at all.

12stringbass.net has a very informative interview with John Gaudesi of the Yamaha Custom Shop on the creation of Doug's custom 12-string, which is in fact based on the (lefty) AES-style body. I would assume his four-strings are the same.

Edit: found a picture of Doug and a custom AES 4-string during his clinic tour last spring. You can see the 12 on the stand to his left, and Kenny Arnoff to his right. ;) :

5. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    In the video I saw, the bass Doug was playing looked like the Attitude Plus 4-string with all black hardware and a P/J pu config. and rosewood fretboard. Problem is that I can't seem to find an Attitude Plus anywhere for sale. The only place I've been able to find them on the web is from a German retailer.