1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha AES

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spector_Ray, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I was watching a concert video of King's X and Doug Pinnick was playing a Yamaha bass. When I went to the Yamaha website, it stated that he used AES Custom 4 and 12 string basses. Are these the same Billy Sheehan Attitude basses per se?

2. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    ...or is it the Attitude Plus?

3. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    never even heard of a yamaha aes bass, thought they only made aes guitars?

4. If I had to guess, Yamaha has Pinnick pose with Attitude Pluses in advertisements because they simply don't have a consumer model of the custom bass he plays. Better to have an endorsee hold some type of model then not use their "power" in the marketplace at all.

12stringbass.net has a very informative interview with John Gaudesi of the Yamaha Custom Shop on the creation of Doug's custom 12-string, which is in fact based on the (lefty) AES-style body. I would assume his four-strings are the same.

Edit: found a picture of Doug and a custom AES 4-string during his clinic tour last spring. You can see the 12 on the stand to his left, and Kenny Arnoff to his right. ;) :

[​IMG]

5. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    In the video I saw, the bass Doug was playing looked like the Attitude Plus 4-string with all black hardware and a P/J pu config. and rosewood fretboard. Problem is that I can't seem to find an Attitude Plus anywhere for sale. The only place I've been able to find them on the web is from a German retailer.