Yamaha BB3000A, any comments?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Mule, Feb 10, 2006.

1. (Picture from The Low End Galllery)

I'm seriously considering to buy a bass similar to this one, original Yamaha BB3000A, neck through body, ivory white, completely original with OHSC. Any (happy) owners around here who like to share some experiences, things to look at when inspecting, pros and cons. All appreciated!
  2. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    Okay, prepared to get a string of comments from the usual Yamaha boosters.

The bass pictured there is a Yamaha BB3000A, which is the first revision of the original Yamaha BB3000 model. I believe the main revisions between the initial series and the 'A' models were different pickups, different bridges, and in the case of the 5-strings, a wider neck at the nut. The 'A' series is also active, where the original BB3000's were passive.

I have a Yamaha BB3000S, which is a passive version of the bass pictured, in a natural finish. I also have a BB1600, which is a bolt-on version of the BB3000. The BB3000s are usually made with alder wings, attaching to mahogany strips down the neck, which sandwich a nice neck-through selection of maple. Fretboards are ebony, if I'm not mistaken.

I love these basses.

My BB3000S is an incredibly warm, even sounding bass with mojo to spare and what I consider to be an incredibly striking look. It doesn't have the punch or glassiness that you'd expect from something like a Marcus Miller jazz - it's more of a subdued sounding instrument with loads of fundamental, that you wouldn't exactly slap with unless you had to.

The easiest way to hear the BB3000 sound in action is to go to iTunes and pay the buck for a few select cuts by No Doubt. Tony Kanal, their bass player, uses a BB3000 as his main axe, and is usually VERY audible in the mix. The song that IMO captures the overall feel and sound of the Yamaha is 'Marry Me' off the 'Return to Saturn' album.
  3. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

"What He said" ^^
  4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Very under rated bass.
    Sound, and play great.
    Good all around bass.
  5. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Are those pickups stock? They don't seem to have the magnets I usually see on Yamaha BBs.
  6. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    THis is a pretty terrific sounding bass. Nathan East used this bass for years. I don't like the styling or lack thereof but the proof is in the sound. This link got a bunch of attention a few weeks back but luckily it is a video/sound sample of this very bass and I for one, love the sound.

7. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia

The 'A' series changed over from the exposed pole piece magnets to the plastic shielded ones. Don't know if this change was merely cosmetic or not.
  8. I believe the pickups to be stock, I've seen them on several different (pictures of) BB3000A basses. Don't know about the passive variety or the first series though. The bass shown, what year should it be approximately? Late 80's, early 90's?
  9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    3000AF user here. Love the tone. Nothing spectacular really but it's right there at the sweet spot so to speak. Very pleasing to the ears.
  10. stingray5bbx

Feb 11, 2005
  11. ............and then some.

Quality instruments, wish I could afford one right now.
  12. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I dig! Did you have the neck pickup soloed for this clip or both pickups on full?
  13. stingray5bbx

Feb 11, 2005
    Both pickups... altough on m BB-x ts 2 Vol instead of a switch.
  14. bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Very good basses, though I like the older ones better.
    Please check out the band D`Sound, www.dsound.com, exellent bass playing with an old BB5000
  15. Well, I bought the BB3000A and have really enjoyed it for about a month now, and today I was lucky enough to 'win' its BB5000A twin brother on eBay for a IMHO ridiculously low price. No need to give all the details , but the two basses only cost me €1062 (about $1300) in total.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  16. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dig this yamaha model , i really dig that 5 stringer too. I think i may have seen that one on the bay.