Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

yamaha bb414

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jeenyus, Jul 17, 2005.

1. i have never had a chance to play this bass but im looking for an inexpensive bass that sounds good and is good quality. i play mostly rock/hardcore music,would this fit what im looking for??

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm looking forward to these basses being more available. If the BB415 has a good B string, it will be one of the best buys in the world.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The BB404 (predecessor) is a phenominal bass. With the new line they've made improvements, so there's no place to go but up!

4. CrUiSeR

CrUiSeR

Jul 13, 2005
    Well for some reason I keep being
    asked to log in after I've already
    logged in and I keep losing my post
    so I'm not going to type it all over again
    :eyebrow:
    So here is the short:
    BUY IT!
    You will not get a better new bass
    for the same amount of money.

5. Soulbanana

Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Singapore
    You can't go wrong with this bass. I wanted a BB1000 Michael Anthony bass 2 years back and would have gotten it if it not for the naff chilli inlays. This bass is identical to that model, with the addition of the preamp. Personally, I would take the passive version because I like it that way.

You might prefer actives to help smooth out the tonal difference in the 2 pickups. Bear in mind that the circuitry is like that of a Telecaster. V - T - 3-way selector, with no provision for blend or dual volume. This could be easily remedied with some rewiring though. I'm currently really GASing for the one in Pearl Black but it looks like a real fingerprint magnet.

6. bassomane

bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Austria
    I play the 615 about one month and 7 gigs and it rocks!!! An absolute amazing bass. I have played Warwicks, Musicmans etc. but I like this simple bass best of all on stage. Though I prefer passive basses now, I have choosen the active version. So I can change the preamp (which is not necessary) or go passive. After one month I decided to keep everything stock. There is no need to upgrade. Even the B string is very good. With a better and thicker string .130 it is perfect. The weight is also reasonable with 4,2 kg. The fretwork and finish is Yamaha like perfect. Although you have one single coil on bord I have never noziced hum on stage. Resümee: Despite its low price it is a professional bass.

7. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Oooh, I want one, too. I wish they'd hurry up and make a lefty fiver version.

8. I bought a metallic orange 4 stringer about 1 month ago - and it is a great bass. Yesterday I put some SIT Power Flats on it - and I think I like it even more !!

9. They are really good basses for that price. I will go with the orange 4 string. It looks funky :D

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Bassomane, thanks so much for the report on the BB615! This bass is really starting to look like the absolute best bang for the buck bass in the world. I mean this bass is selling for $200 less than Tributes or Skylinbe 55-01s! I can't wait to try one.

11. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    I got a BB414 brand new for $320

Absolutely killer bass for that price.

12. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    What stores are they available in?

13. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    In New Jersey I've found them in Sam Ash and Russo Music Center in Trenton. GC carries Yamaha but I haven't seen the BB's yet.