1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha EMX512SC...Kustom speakers...?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by mello_bedwetter, May 22, 2011.

1. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    One speaker for each amp with the Main/main setting is 500w per cab.
    you can't run monitors or any other speakers than those. don't daisy chain 2 of those on one amp. That let's the magic smoke out of the mixer. Should tell you the manual also.

2. Okay...that's what I needed to know. If daisy-chained on one side or channel it would be 2 in parallel with the ohm/output of 2 ohms...too much. Am I thinking right? I can run two 8 ohm speakers per side/channel or two 8 ohm for monitors and two 8 ohm for mains.

3. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Those speakers probably sound like crap. If you havn't wasted your money yet you might reconsider your purchase. Spend a little more money and buy a pair of yamaha clubs. They are considered one of the best low priced speakers available.

4. Keithwah

Keithwah

Jan 7, 2011
    Milwaukee WI
    Agreed. Even the cheaper JBL or Peavey stuff will out perform this Kustom marketed crap. Use Craigslist, go to local music stores (that aren't a Guitar Center) and look for used gear, let them know what you are looking for in used gear and leave your name and number with them. Music stores try a little harder these days thanks to the economy and Karaoke.

You should be able to do better than the Kustom for less. DO NOT BE MESMERIZED BY PRETTY COLOR PICTURES from these music "super-duper stores" websites and the nice catalogs that these obviously really nice men send you. BUY LOCAL! Help a fellow musician unload his stuff instead of buying the pretty picture on the internet. It is worth the extra money to establish a local support line when you are a hurting unit. Let your local music stores that you could buy from the super-duper stores, but would like to do business with them instead, if they can show you how they can help you out besides offering the most competitive price they can.

In the case of these speakers....Kustom = Behringer. And what am I always telling you? That's right.....friends don't let real friends use Behringer.

5. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Yes. And I agree about the club speakers. I see them on CL for $150-200 each often. Sound excellent. I'm playing with a group that has Peavey 215 mains and the 115 clubs sound better (IMO) and much easier to transport.

6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I have this mixer. You need two 15" 8 ohm 2 way speakers per channel ( mains/monitors). Yamaha, JBL, Peavey all make nice ones.

I also run a spare bass amp into a 2x15 out of the mono out to mic the kick drums. Makes it nice and fat.

7. I didn't know if I would need two 15's per cab or if 1 would be sufficient. My local store doesn't have anything but Behringer but I'd like to get a couple of the Yamaha or Peavey 15's. I'm new to this PA stuff...sorry.

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    You don't need it. Find a used pair of 8 ohm Yamaha Club series or a used pair of Peavey SP2s. They're on CL all the time for around $300/pair.

9. Okay...thanks for the tip.

10. Do you run guitars through the unit too or just the drums and vocals?