Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha MG164 16-Channel Mixer

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm wondering if anyone has tried this yet? I would use it for live applications, (the 1604vlz has bit the dust, the behringer UB whatever is crap) but I want the mic pre-amps to be better than garbage. The yamaha brand gives me confidence, but what can I expect at this price point? I'd rather not spend the money for a Mackie and I really can't afford a Midas now. Any alternatives would be welcome. I do NOT need it for recording as I just bought an e mu 1820M.

Thanks!

2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Hi, I use the MG12/4 for home studio monitoring, and I find the preamps to be pretty quiet on my "audiophile" Sennheiser HD-570 headphones. It seems to have a fairly decent feature set for the price and is still very well-priced.

One advantage with the 16 channel is that you can get the version that has built in effects, which should be fairly decent seeing that they are Yamaha's own.

3. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    cool thanks, -is there a board that you could compare the preamps to?

4. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Ha! I hate to say it, but probably Behringer Eurorack.

I haven't done any A/B comparisons with any high quality condenser mics yet. Sorry.

It's funny why you buy things, one of the most important things for my particular set-up which is in the basement family room with the TV etc. was the rear-exit for all the cabling. I wanted it to be nice and neat so that my wife wouldn't freak.

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

There's a nice intermediate step between the Mackie and the Midas: the Crest XR-20. Very clean preamps, tons of features, slightly annoying layout, with all jacks on the back. I've owned one for a couple of years now, and highly recommend an audition if you want a nice live mixer with good recording application potential as well. You might get lucky and find a used one by now, otherwise expect to pay ~$1600 or so. I went from an A&H Mix Wizard to the Crest, and my clients could definitely tell a difference. The Mix Wiz certainly merits consideration as a Mackie replacement though.

--Charlie Escher

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool, thanks! I'll check it out.