1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha RBX 375 used question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ironrat, Mar 30, 2009.

1. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    Hi guys:

I am being offered a Yamaha RBX 375 bass. The asking price is $200, but the bass had a hard life. Scratched, green frets, paint peeling from the bridge, rusted magnets, etc.

Sounds pretty well, even with the (ouch) original strings on it that are rusted to boot.

Is it worth the price, I should offer less or run in the oposite direction?

2. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008

3. Not quite sure what it equates to over in the states, but I have an RBX374 and only paid £150 new for it. You can get a new one now for about £220 (things are getting expensive at the mo')

Seems a lot for what it is. (It's a great bass by the way)

4. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    ^^ Thanks! My only problem is that the bass need a lot of love, shine and paint to look good again. I thought offering him $100.

5. o_s

o_s

Oct 24, 2007
    Oulu, Finland
    I've owned one for 2 years and it's the worst piece of crap I've ever played. Just buy something else :D

6. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I owned a 375 and I thought it was a very nice bass for the money. I bought mine used, from a fellow TBer for $285.00 shipped in like new condition. I think offering $125.00 would be fair.

7. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    get a new one.

8. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    HAHAHAHAHA that is what I thought.....but wanted an opinion from other players. I think I better buy that PJ SX http://www.rondomusic.com/spj623ts.html I want since it is too much trouble to make that bass shine again.

9. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    I'd agree with Mikio...get a new bass.

If you can talk the guy down to $100 or less you might consider it, but by the same token, you may have to sink some more money into it to fix up any problem that has developed over its hard life, not to mention the time it would take for you to polish off the rust.

10. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I have played SX basses and I even owned one and I just sold my RBX375 to a friend and there is no comparison; the Yamaha blows them away. I have owned and played around 60 different basses so I know the difference between a piece of junk and a decent bass. Without pics of the bass it is hard to say what you should ask but $200.00 is too much if it is beat up.

11. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    yeah, what I meant was to save more money and get a brand new 375, lovely bass, not as lovely as the old 775, but still pretty damn good!

12. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    Hey Keith!!!! I will call him to offer maybe $100 to $75 because the bass is soooo beat up. I can safely tell that it needs new paint. I guess he used the bass to kill roaches :scowl:

btw, the neck you sold me....WOW it rocks! It improved my bass tone because it fits snugly on the pocket. And I adjusted the truss rod without a problem!