Yamaha silent electric bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pjwolf, Feb 21, 2006.

1. pjwolf

Feb 20, 2006
    Ventura, Ca.
    has anyone used the Yamaha silent bass? i figure it has got to be good for practicing in an apartment.......don't want to spend the money if they're dogs..
  2. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I have a Yamaha TRB5, and it is quite silent indeed if I don't plug it in.

Just kidding, I realize you are describing a different product. I couldn't resist. There's this other thread about "Fried Basses" out there right now, and I am about to explode in restraining myself from posting something about how I boil my strings. :p
  3. maxito

maxito Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2006
    I have owned both the Yamaha SLB100, and the SLB200 models. The 100 looked very cool, and was much more portable than my 7/8 carved bass (duh) but it never really had a convincing upright sound - it was nice to be able to practice with headphones and plug an external sound source (CD player/drum machine/iPod...) into the bass -

I traded it for the 200 last year, and have been very pleased with it. It has an acoustic chamber (unlike the 100) and different electronics than the 100. It has a nice warm sound, and is very versatile. I recorded with it several times last year, different styles, and it's pretty convincing. I have owned several other EUBs, and I think that the new silent bass (200) may be the best on the market - especially for the price. If you decide to take the plunge, I highly suggest adding the frame extension, which makes the upper bout deeper, and more like a real bass.
  4. Peik

Dec 2, 2004

I have had brief encounter with the SLB 200 and really liked it. Great sounds, but would also reecomend getting the extension frame, knee supprt og stand. The stand really makes it a lot easier to balance, IMO.

5. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I'll have to try the 200 - I was seriously underwhelmed with the first version...
  6. pjwolf

Feb 20, 2006
    Ventura, Ca.
    thanks for your input..this helps immensely..i've been overwhelmed with all the eub on the market these days..the silent capabilities is what i really like...thanks again!
  7. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
  8. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish

Boiled string soup? That sounds like a pretty rancid broth... each to their own though.