Yamaha SVB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jedi, Apr 13, 2005.

1. jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    I've been looking around for an SVB 500, but have no idea where to find them stateside. If anyone could tip me off, or drop a review or info if they own one.
    Thanks much.
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  3. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I've seen them on ebay a few times. I notice them cause I got a svg 800 guitar.
  4. I've got one that's seen better days.
  5. jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    Awesome, thanks for the help. Hopefully things will pan out. How do you like yours BoognishMang?
  6. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I had an SBV500 for the best part of five years and sold it about two months ago to 'arrowheadguitars'.

Despite it's whacky-looking shape, it is comparable to any similar-priced Jazz bass. It has a slim, fast neck. As you would expect from what is essentially a "budget" instrument, it was not the most tonally-versatile bass you will ever come across. The Vol/Vol/Tone controls were pretty much either "on" or "off" IMO with little between.

Still, it has that typically great build quality that you get from Yamaha. I had some good times with it and it's gone to a good home.
  7. Wow, I must have tiny hands!
    For me, it's the fattest neck I've ever felt. Fatter than an EBMM.
    Besides the neck being too large for my hands, it's a decent bass. I agree with David that the tone control needs more range.