Yamaha TRB5 Modifications

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WillCO, Jun 7, 2005.

1. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I finally got some modifications completed on my TRB5. I tried to do all of this myself, but got in a bit over my head with the electronics and had to ask Todd Reith in Denver to bail me out (thanks, Todd!).

So, it now has Bartolini M45 pickups in it - they are _sort of_ a direct replacement for the OEM Yamahas. They are the right width, and the exact same length as the OEM pickups, but the OEM pickups had hollow plastic extensions which contained the screws. I wonder why Yamaha did that, it made an absolutely easy direct pickup replacement into something more complex. To get the M45s to fit, I had to mill down a few little pieces of ebony to take up the extra space.

I also added an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp, with a push/pull mid selector switch and an active/passive switch. I started out wiring the OBP-3 with the OEM Yamaha pickups and I didn't think it was a great match.

The new tone is different. It's got more low end support, especially with the OBP-3 cranked up a bit. I find that I have to turn the treble boost about all the way up on the OBP-3 to get the tone I want, compared to laying it back a lot on the OEM preamp. There's nothing wrong with this, it's just different. I do like the midrange tone and control much better with the new setup. All in all, it's perhaps a very slightly more vintage sound, which is odd since I'm a new school player, but it seems to work well.

I have some of the ebony left. I may use it to make a ramp between the two pickups.

I'll try to record it soon and post some soundclips.
  2. I did almost the same thing with mine last month: M55CBC pickups (salesman told me they have slightly more "vintage" sound); I have yet to fill in the slight gaps in the pickup slots. I put in a Bartolini preamp with the 3-way mid switch. I also added the coil splitter switch.

It doesn't sound anything like it did, and I am absolutely delighted.

3. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    I put an OBP-3 in my TRB-6P. Best move ever. The Lane Poors in it sound better then the stock pickups. I'm so happy with my baby.