1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yes, an AliExpress question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by isher1992, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Marc61

Marc61

Jul 29, 2007
    Greater NY Area
    I’d never buy from them. Seems like every time I go into a Sam Ash or GC I find entry level basses they are trying to move in the $99 range. Nothing better than the in hand test. It didn’t make sense to buy on a gamble and replace the inadequate parts when you can get the whole ball of wax up front

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If you have enough money that you can gamble it away on a Longshot, why not just buy something good?

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  3. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Leo chose alder because... it’s cheap, not too heavy, readily available wood. Swamp ash - similar, and some of it looks good enough you don’t have to paint it.

Basswood, agathais, etc are woods that are... in the same category. A bass body doesn’t require special wood to be decent - lots of woods work just fine. There’s nothing all that special about alder. If Leo had started making basses in Asia, maybe agathis would be what people fixate on. I’d suggest you loosen up on that criteria. It’d be far better to get a bass with a different wood for the body than to buy a shoddy one.

4. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Will not deal with an outfit with sucha poor business ethic.

5. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    If this was twenty years ago, I would tend to agree with that....however, in 2018, worldwide internet-based direct sales sans a distribution center or rep, is a growing worldwide concept (in everything, not just guitars)

theres many American companies themselves moving to this concept

6. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    If anything about Squiers bothers you, there's no way you will be happy with an Ali Express bass.

KayXero likes this.
  7. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    What I fixate on has nothing to do with tone woods but with longetivity. Carpenters, for instance, refuse to use certain woods for certain applications because the fact is some woods just aren’t right for the job.

Basswood is too soft for an instrument that I plan on keeping for a long time. Soft wood just irks me in that application. Can’t do it.

Gilmourisgod and buldog5151bass like this.
  8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Yeah, can't do basswood either. My nephew got an Aerodyne Jazz as his first bass, granted he's a fairly careless teenager, but the bass looks really beat after a couple years, lots of dings and chips. The paint is hard, but the wood is soft, recipe for a quick relic job. I think I can dent basswood with my fingernail. My dad used to use it exclusively for birdcarving beacuse it cuts so easily and cleanly. If you are seriously considering an AE bass, I'd get a "husk", just the body and neck, with no crap hardware you'll probably junk anyway. I must admit I've been tempted by the Ric Lemmy clone basses, it'd make a great project bass, and I have seen them in husk form with no hardware or electronics. I'd assume a full fret job, of course.
    US $550.0 |Kpole Ricken 4 strings 4003 fireglo bass guitar engrave top neck thru body rickenback 4003 bass Free Shipping-in Guitar from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    AboutSweetSue likes this.
  9. 4sight

4sight Supporting Member

Hey, instant mojo! :roflmao:

My basswood Yamaha is dented and scarred too, but it's very resonant unplugged and sounds great plugged in too, so who cares.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  10. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    That’s cool, basswood sounds great, if you don’t mind the dings it’s all good. I know it’s inevitable, but I’ve always tried to keep my basses as pristine as possible. I’m putting together a beater MIM P bass, looks like an alder body. It was kinda a POS to begin with, so if I drop it, no tears shed.

4sight likes this.