1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yes, another bass cab mic thread.

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Floyd Eye, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I would like to hear what some of the sound engineers think of these mics. Maybe WalterW and Modulusman and some of the other regular gurus will chime in.

Since I will be on a budget of around $200 ( Give or take 50 bucks) and it is impossible to find an RE20, PR40, M88, 421 or any of the really great bass cab mics for that, I kinda had it narrowed down to a few lesser choices.

What do you think of these?

AKG P2
    Beta 57A
    Beta 52A

Application will be a CL and an Ampeg 810. Both SLM 2006 models
    Any other ideas somewhere in the $200-$250 range.

2. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Live or for in the studio?

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Live.

4. ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    I know a lot of pro techs, believe me, they work on big events. They like simple & effective.

Get a used 421. Never underestimate the 57, works awesome. IMO RE20 and SM7 sound great for the sudio but are not really that great for live use.

I never get why people don't want to use the 57. It's a standard for a reason. Maybe they just want to be different.

57 or 421 plus DI can work in any situation for bass.

5. ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    You can also use a moded 57 without the tranformer. It loses about 10db of gain but sounds similar to a SM7. It's trickier to use live because in high db stages quiet mics tend to not work so well , like RE20 or Sm7....etc....

6. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Well, I can't find a 421 for less than $350-ish, so that's out. If I were going to buy a low end Shure, why wouldn't I look at the 52 or the 57? That is I am curious as to why you do not recommend them rather than a 57.

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I can, however, find a PV520 for $100 shipped.

9. Beta 57a. More low end extension and tighter pattern than the SM57, less mid scooped than the B52. It's also useful all over the stage. In fact, I think it's probably the best all around workhorse for live sound. It's an excellent vocal mic especially in a loud environment.

If you can find a used 421, that would work nicely too.

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    And a PR40 is possibly attainable at around $280-ish.

11. ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    52 is for kick drums. You can use it on bass if you want but there is a mighty scoop in the low mids, that are imo essential for bass.

Who said a 57 is low end, .....??
    Get the standard 57 not the beta, save yourself a few $$.

12. I would go for the PR-40 if you can come up to $280. I recently did a huge sell off of my non essential gear and decided to keep the PR40. Its that nice.

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Would a PR40 eliminate the need for a DI?

14. ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    DI +Mic = win in any live situation.

15. I think with any mic you would have that question. It just depends on what you want to give to FOH. For me though the mic sounds great and gives me the sound I want to hear. Something you would have to mess with I would imagine. For things like mics that are so subjective to user taste I like to get them from one of the major retailers with a solid return policy so I am not stuck with something I don't like. Sorry if that just made things more complex but put simply I love tone from the PR40 and would give FOH just a line from it any day.

16. This as well ^^^^

17. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I see used Senn421's at around $225 on a regular basis. It is a great mic. Worksfie on your cab and a multitude of other things as well.

That said I recently added a PR40 to my box and on my basscab in the studio I like it a lot. Havem't had a chancewith it live yet.

18. A plain old SM57 will work too. In some cases you might find it a bit low end shy but most of the time it works fine.

The PR40 is nice as well.

19. taurus1

taurus1

Sep 13, 2006
    Vancouver B.C.
    refreshing to read guys who actually know what they`re talking about