Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yet another Avatar question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stealthco4545, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Don't hate me too much, I did a search and couldn't find the info I wanted. Is anyone familiar with the 4x10 Kappa Pro cab? I saw that it was powerful but does anyone know the quality of it or how it sounds?

2. cool, anybody here familiar with them?

3. Kappa Pro's provide some serious low end. In 10's some punch.

4. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    ive heard from several talk bassers that the kappa pro cabs have a scooped mid range with big low end. kind like a smiley face EQ.

5. Bingo on the smiley face EQ sound- but it sounds WONDERFUL. The speakers are top notch. Konfishily owned one for a while, but sold it because his car was too small to haul it in. Try PM'ing him.

6. cool, I think I have enough mids to help it out :D

7. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    As an added thought pertaining to more low end sound. The Kappa have an X-max (cone travel length) of 3.2 mm. The other Avatar 410's have a custom X-max of 5.2 mm.

What this means is that the cones "throw" more air, thus relating to a fuller (and deeper tone). Just an FYI.

Oh, yeah....that 30-some pounds of added weight might be a factor as well.

8. I thought about the weight and looked at the neo, but i'm young so maybe it won't be too bad

9. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    heh, I bought it from him, it sounds great (but I'm still waiting for my Demeter to hook up to 'er)...however, the weight might be an issue for you, it is a beast. other than that, I would recommend one anyday.

10. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Maybe so, but haulin' 95 DEAD pounds up a flight (or two) of stairs is no joke. I'm in the gym a lot weightlifting and it can be very awkward @ times.

11. If you want big low end...definately get a speaker with a larger Xmas or you will experience the speaker farting out at higher volumes. I had the Kappa Pro LF 15" speaker with x-max of 5.2" (allowed travel of voice coil)

12. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    So tru, Dave has custom Eminence 10" cones for the NEO. 5.2mm X-max, frequency response of 40Hz - 3.5kHz. THAT'S some serious low end!!

13. I'm still kind of toying with the idea of adding a "15 or something like that, but i'm hoping that the kappa pro's will be enough.