Yet another P bass thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lenosgood, Sep 4, 2010.

1. I found a Fender P-bass and a little 15 watt amp for $150. This is perfect for what I need right now--an inexpensive bass to learn on. I guess you could say I'm a beginning/intermediate player...I've played before but haven't picked up a bass in about 3 years. Anyway, from what I can gather, (correct me if I'm wrong) the bass is an Affinity P bass because it only has two pickups. I was reading a thread that mentioned adding a pickup near the bridge for a fatter tone. Being mostly a noob as far as setups and equipment go, I was wondering what the pluses and minuses are and how hard it is to do this and if it's worth the effort at this point. Basically what I'm looking for (if I can explain it right) is a clean tone for playing classic rock/southern rock and country, but I'd also like to explore some funk/slap and pop techniques down the road. In other words, I not only want to learn scales and chord progressions, but different styles as well to find my "niche". I can't wait to get the thing and put some hours on it--I used to play fairly regularly and really miss it. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    An Affinity is a type of Squier if I'm not mistaken.
    Even though there's two pups, its considered one split coil pickup. This is the standard for P Basses (Fender and Squier anyway).

Good Luck.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021