Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yet another tread about wisdom teeth

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Well, mine are out. It wasn't so bad because my face was frozen, but it's still pretty freaky. Basically, hers's my experience.

My mouth was frozen with quick injections to my gums. I don't think IV anesthetic is necessary since the pain is minimal, but if you're really freaked out, go for it. Cutting the gum open was no problem, although it's weird how they push hard and cut over and over. Drilling the tooth was alright, especially on upper teeth. Took less than a minute each. What I found odd was removing the broken tooth from the gums. The surgeon was basically prying the pieces to line them up with the opening, I guess. Anyways, he was applying so much pressure I was kind of freaking out. Think of a crowbar. Then he picked out the pieces and sowed me up.

Overall not that bad an experience. For those of you who have to get them removed, don't worry so much about the procedure. It's obviously pretty freaky to have them do anything to your mouth but it's over quickly and doesn't hurt much, if at all. There is a lot of bleeding, it seems, so apply a lot of gauze to coagulate the blood. My mouth is starting to hurt so I'm going to get some painkillers :D.

I know I read a lot of stuff here about wisdom teeth and it helped calm my fears. Anyone else want to share?

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I had mine out when I was 19. I walked in, they gave me a shot of novocaine in each tooth and a shot of sodium pentathol in my left arm. Then the nurse told me to go wait outside and handed me my 4 wisdom teeth in an envelope.:D

Easy as pie...never had stitches, never had a dry socket, never needed codeine. :hyper:

3. Anyone know how to stop this bleeding? It's been going for 3 hours and barely slowing down. I've had gauze on them ever since, changing every 20 mins, and it won't dry up.

4. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I had mine out when I was 18. The top was a cake walk and didn't swell up or bleed much. The bottom was another story. They were tilted forward at a 45 degree angle. They cut them into three pieces and it felt like he was using a crow bar for me as well. I could see my dentist's straining to pull those suckers out.

I live half an hour from my dentist, and about half of the way back to my house, the shots he gave me started wearing off. So, when I call him to tell him this, he prescribes me Percocet. Needless to say, that fixed me rights up.

I was in horrible pain, but after I took some Percocet, I was singing along to Led Zeppelin on the way home.

5. spyingcracker

spyingcracker

May 27, 2004
    Oh, thanks! :spit: I was just informed last week that my wisdom teeth would have to be removed over the summer, and your post freaked me out more than alleviated my fears. I didn't know SOWING and PRYING was involved. I still wince in pain when I remember when I had a few baby teeth that wouldn't fall out pryed by the dentist. :bawl: :crying:

6. I had my bottom two wisdom teeth taken out about a year ago, both went dry socket. That really sucked. I was just one of the lucky "1 in 4" that go dry socket for no reason. Still have my top two. My fiance also had 3 of hers taken out (they left one in because she missing a second molar in the bottom right, so they're gonna shift her jaw all around) a couple of weeks ago. Had no problems.

7. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    ahh!! you guys it's a snap+++

8. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I don't have any. Never did, never will. :D :D

9. Well the bleeding is almost stopped, although there is a bit leaking out here and there. The pain is there, now that my face is unfrozen, but overall I think I'm doing better. I just ate soup and jello, not too many problems.

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Suck on a teabag.

11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    About the same experience when I was 20. The Oral Surgeon gave me a 10 mg Valium tablet to take an hour before I came in for the extractions. I floated into his waiting room, wanting to be worried, but I couldn't! I woke up with gauze in my mouth and 4 shiny wisdom teeth in an envelope. Better living through chemistry, they say.

Piece of cake!

-Art

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I had mine out 1 month ago today and after the dope wore off i was ready to eat some steak.

13. Well, the bottom two had to be removed because my jaw isn't big enough to accomodate them. The top two haven't been removed yet because they're still 75% impacted, and while they could remove them now, it would be a longer recovery time and more pain to cut into the jawbone, rather than wait a couple more years for them to come down a little farther.

14. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I have to get mine out soon. :meh: Three are showing, and they're all at some sort of angle. I've heard that it's easier (less painful) when you get them out before they break through the gums. Is that true? I hope I get some good painkillers after this...

15. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I had 1 out last summer. it sucked bad :spit:
    It all started like it will be easy, but then came the problems.
    The tooth was still in deep, hadn't come to the surface then, so the gum and all else had to be cut up.
    The cut-up gum wooldn't stay where it was, the bone-membrane (if its called that) was very hard to cut up. Then the tooth was so stuck that I got that crowbar thingy, but they were trying to get it out for much longer time. Pushing, pushing harder, wrenching, no. Drilling, wrenching, cutting, wrenching, pushing, pulling...
    Meanwhile they were pulling my lip with a mini-crowbar, so that they could access my tooth. They pulled it so hard that my lip ruptured, and there was a scar inside, too.
    This took about 1 - 1 1/4 hours.

A week later I went to have the stiches out. They said that will be painless. I didnt get painkillers at first. But when they started cutting the stitches, the stich pulled back into the wound... After a few more nastily painful attempts, I got some painkiller-injection, and they cut it...

So, its not always that easy.
    But maybe this was because it was done on Friday the 13th, August, at 1 am - thats 13:00 :eyebrow: :rollno:

16. 0100 is 1AM- 1300 is 1PM.

What were you doing at the dentist an hour after midnight on Friday the 13th?

17. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Mine are impacted, I'm supposed to get them out, but I refuse to do it until there's some pain or something.

And it doesn't help that the dentist who wants me to get them removed just wants them out because he has a business deal with the oral surgeon. Every patient he sends there, he gets a kickback from. :rollno:

18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If they're impacted, you will eventually have a lot of problems. A LOT!

And, if you wait until there's pain, it'll be much more difficult for the surgeon and much more painful for you with a much longer recovery period.

Is there any reason you continue to use that dentist? Is there any reason you have to use a specific oral surgeon? Why don't you, AS THE CONSUMER, do your own research to find a dentist you trust and an oral surgeon that other people have had good experiences with?

19. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :p

At least the end-of-semester exams are just over, and I had an average of 4.44 - the class average should be around 3,5 or lower :hyper:

20. So let's talk about the swelling. It's now been 3 days since I had them removed and I'm doing all right. However, my cheeks are quite swollen and it's causing a bit of trouble from an eating perspective since I can't completely close my mouth (and thus can't chew that well). I've been applying a lot of heat (cold for the first day or 2, and then heat right?) and taking anti-inflammatories, but it's still not doing much. Any tips?