Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

you know why Will Lee is great?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by corinpills, Mar 22, 2005.

1. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I was watching the rock & Roll Hall Of Fame thingy and, as usual, they had the Letterman band backing the inductees. Of course, we've all seen him back some of the biggest names in music night after night on the Late Show. The thing about Will Lee that makes him such a great bass player is.... wait for it...
    HE ACTUALLY PLAYS THE BASS PART.

He doesn't try to make the bassline "a little hipper" by throwing in extra notes, he respects the integrity of the orginal bassline. When he backed the OJays the other night, he didn't try to put his stamp on the songs. He played the parts that were on the records that sold millions of copies. I gurantee you that Anthony Jackson has to listen to wedding band bass players try to update his bass lines all the time and it must make him cringe. Imagine the chops Will Lee must have after playing 7 days a week for over 30 years, but he respects the music enough to honor the original bass line. That's a lot of maturity, self-restraint, respect and a sense of musical heritage in one guy.

That is my sermon for the day. Will Lee is the man.

2. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    Yea! What that guy said!

3. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    +1

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Will was rock'in.
    I noticed, Will played two fender Percision bass.
    I think one with flats, and one with roundwounds.
    He sounded great.

5. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    +1

Will's the man!

6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I saw him with his own band at the Detroit Jazz Festival last fall, INCREDIBLE. He was with his own band, did some singing, but didn't take a solo till the next to last song, When He did my Draw dropped, the man is sick good, and Victor Baily and Mark Egan who were sitting right off stage were impressed too! The band had a great time, but more important, and a novel idea at a jazz festival the audience had a good time too!! It was a privilage to see him live, I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    No Jazz?!
    No Sadowskys!?

...ever hear the story about the P-bass that Lee "Frankestein'd"
    with about 5 or 6 pickups? ;)

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    There is a reason Will has managed to keep working in N.Y.C. for 34 years......he was always about the groove. I used to see him a lot in the clubs in the 70's.....always great with whoever he was playing with. He's a great singer too, and makes good money singing on sessions & jingles.

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Will is one of the greats, IMO.

*I giggle when ever I hear that Army commercial "Be... All that you can Be... In the Army...", That's Uncle Will singing that jingle.

*The Fab Faux absolutely is one of the best Beatles cover bands!

A cat that has a jam here in the Atlanta Area, Johnny Knox (also someone that I have done gigs with), had Will and Paul Shafer on his studio album... how's that for hip?

12. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Will Lee is my favorite cover band bassist.

Slug

13. "No just to old fender P-basses.
    One white, one fiesta red, both with rosewood necks."
    I dunno about that...I thought for sure the red bass was a Sad Ultra-Vintage P. The headstock didn't look like a Fender to me.

14. squierplayer120

squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    Wisconsin
    +1

15. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I feel what you're saying,but I doubt that any bass player would or could make Anthony Jackson cringe ! good or bad

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'm just glad he finally wised up, and got rid of those awful Hartke crap! :p

but yea, will's pretty righteous. saw him at Bass Day Live with Dave Wilson this past october, and all he did was play a few of his favorite bass lines, and he just killed every one! motown, stax, a little funk, it was all Will. guy's definitely a living legend. kinda corny, too. was wearing his trademark Raybans the whole time. :smug:

17. larry graham is the man :D
    in saying that, victor wooten makes me cringe and fall asleep at the same timespeaking of bass days....anyone seen the drummers collective dvd....i mean wooten, the only guy to come out solo...geezz..pig headedness

18. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You should really look up the definition of the phrase "on topic". :D

19. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    He mentioned Will in his post before he wisely edited it out :rolleyes:

20. well it was true...still bass day was mentioned...but fine...will lee doesnt really stand out for me, does what he does, but still, id rather listen to Hub play