Your favorite autowah (envelope filter) tones

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassist4Eris, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

I just picked up an MXR Bass Envelope Filter today, and I've been having quite a bit of fun with it. It's not my first filter; in fact I now have three (the other two are the Boss AW-3 and the EHX Enigma Q-Balls).

Now I'm interested in some (further) inspiration, in the form of your favorite recorded examples of autowah on bass.

One of my personal faves is Flea's sound on "Falling Into Grace". Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP_V0FXwOFo

2. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Just posted this in another thread:

"Stretchin' Out" - Bootsy's Rubber Band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXbuQlHy0BA

Nobody worked the envelope filter (particularly the Mu-Tron III) like Bootsy. "Stretchin' Out" is just one example. Look up Bootsy, especially his Rubber Band stuff, on YouTube; you'll be glad you did!

3. Bassist4Eris

Nasty! That inspires me to be less shy about exploring those more extreme, "quacky", settings. It really does sound good in the mix, especially if you can mix in some dry signal, as you can with the MXR (and, to be fair, the EHX).

It sounds to me like the Mu-Tron III must have been nicely responsive to touch. I've heard that envelope filters should be that way, but have rarely experienced it until I picked up this MXR. I really feel, for the first time, that it is possible to "play the pedal" in a meaningful way. Don't get me wrong, other pedals do respond to changes in dynamics, but this one responds to subtleties. Nice.

Of course, I am not unfamiliar with Bootsy, and I believe that it was he who brought the autowah to the bass, forever changing the sound of adult cinema. :D That said, I was unfamiliar with this track and really enjoyed it.

Who else wants to play?

4. bootsy's sound is so distinctively....wet

5. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    +1,000,000,000,000,000 for Bootsy.

...but a close second -- okay, maybe not that close -- would be Chris Squire on "On The Silent Wings Of Freedom" from the Tormato album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp9aHtN4K74

6. mi_weesp

mi_weesp

Jan 17, 2012
    Belarus, Minsk
    SWR minimo has just awesome envelope

7. Bassist4Eris

Wow. That was unexpected. I figured all the entries would be funk jams. To hear that on a prog rock track certainly expanded my ideas about what an envelope filter can be used for. :cool:

8. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I used to have a DOD Envelope Filter in the late 90s:

Of course, I love all the Bootsy stuff, but this pedal was what I could afford at the time. :)

9. rasmusC

rasmusC

Oct 14, 2012
    I have the Three leaf audio groove regulator, its f*ckin awesome :D !

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021