1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

your favorite flats on a budget?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by William K, Oct 21, 2020.

1. William K

William K

May 9, 2019
    looking to put new flats on a p-bass, but I don't have the means to buy one of those super expensive sets. I'm familiar with Chromes and do like them, but am open to something different. any set of flats out there on the cheaper side that are worth trying?

so that I may sound like this:
    :)

EatS1stBassist and CatchaCuda like this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    No flats are cheap but they last for years. You don’t have to get TI’s but you’re not gonna find a budget set that costs what cheap rounds cost. I think chromes are the cheapest.

sonojono, Mushroo, Waltsdog and 6 others like this.
  3. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    TI's that last over a decade turn out to be quite the bargain. But that would be after the flat string brand testing stage.

4. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Dunlop Flats seem reasonably priced at $32 and well received. I just put them on a bass that had Chromes and find them fairly similar, a bit to my surprise.

I guess one needs to define what price point "budget" means. Long term or short term budget?

They are very budget friendly in that respect.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  5. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

Jan 17, 2005
    new jersey
    Chromes are the cheapest Im aware of (maybe fender flats are cheaper) but Im not a fan. DR or La Bella are the best for me, not the cheapest but definitely better than chromes for me

osonu and Son of Wobble like this.
  6. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Chromes $40. Dunlop flats $32. Fender flats $27.50.

ancjr, 4sight, EatS1stBassist and 9 others like this.
  7. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    These are on my list to try; haven’t tried them yet. But I like the company and use their round wound Power Steels on a couple of basses. I love their acoustic guitar strings and have used them for yraes.

I’ve seen them as low as $28/on some sites for the four string 45 - 105s
    S.I.T. Strings - Bass Guitar, Power Flat Bass

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  8. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Old ones still on from 15 years ago.

;)

EatS1stBassist, Mili and shawshank72 like this.
  9. GHS Precision Flats. $24.95 at JustStrings.com
    Sound good & last as long as any other flatwound. F0BBB1DE-0DC9-4240-8D33-B2CD70BFCC53.jpeg

10. TimboZ

TimboZ

Jan 4, 2009
    South of Buffalo
    Another vote for GHS. Have them on 3 of my basses.

11. bassinflorida

bassinflorida turn that dang thing down

Jan 27, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    upload_2020-10-21_19-13-52.png

EatS1stBassist and Son of Wobble like this.
  12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Rotosound 77s are nice for the money. I have them on a bass now and a set of LB waiting for them to die. And they won't die. Which is weird because their rounds don't last as long as some. I like the way they feel and sound well enough that I am not in a hurry to replace them. For comparison the touch is smooth, not sticky at all, similar to your Chromes except lower tension. I think I'd buy a set. They're $30-32. They have a very warm tone. I didn't buy them, they came on a bass. But I am not taking them off any time soon and I have a handful of string sets on hand so I wouldn't hesitate to remove them if I was unhappy.

13. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    EatS1stBassist and DJ Bebop like this.
  14. I liked them. I was using their heavy 50-110 set but, they don't offer them anymore.
    The heavy set reminded me of La Bella's 1954s. I have a set of La Bella's on now.

They are stiff, the webstrings flats, like La Bella's or Rotosound Monel flat wounds. Not soft like TI flats or Pyramid Golds.

I would buy their strings again, I've used their steel rounds before as well. I liked those too.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  15. WillyWonka

WillyWonka Fretless with a pick Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    The Ernie Ball cobalts are easily my second favorite flats, and at the time of this post can be had under $28.

First favorites are Pyramid Golds and if I’m lucky I can get them under $55.

16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Ernie Ball "Custom Gauge Group xxx" bass strings, I've got two basses that have had them on for 20 years. $34 at Amazon, not cheap but not expensive, either. They come in at least four gauges.

71uSERQ5LGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

17. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    I'd go with LaBella, lots of gauge options. If you're patient watch for a set in the TB classifieds.

18. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Came to post the link to Detroit Bass flats as the cheapest flats. (Maybe not the best, but the cheapest I've seen), but that's already been done. But I concur that the Ernie Ball Group series flats maybe the best value. If you can get them for $34, I'd consider that a steal.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020