1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your Favorite Fuzz - Into Your Synth!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by whoatherechunk, Apr 2, 2009.

1. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    I've got a MicroKorg and while I haven't used it too much as of late. I do plan to be using it more and one thing I love is a goooood fuzz/ true synth combo. I've got a bunch of fuzz's/distortions so there's not gonna be a problem in using one but the problem lies in selecting the "right" one. :D. I saw a video of a Voyager and a B:Assmaster and it sounded glorious.

Let me hear what your favorite gain pedals into (real deal) synths are!!!!!

2. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    fuzz into synth, or synth into fuzz?

3. I ran my voyager into an assmaster for a while. but it tends to make everything sound like assmaster.

I'm thinking of getting a tech 21 XXL bass for a "cheap" box of heavy low-end distortion to use with the V

4. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    synth into fuzz. i'm just ummmm.....you know what college kids do these days.....

5. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    take legal speed pills and study for days on end? whoatherebender!

:p

*edit*
    Damnit Chunk, have you been hanging out with our most recent Supporting Member again??!

6. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    so what do you like FTP?

and yeah......i have :D

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I do things a bit differently.
    I like to plug a fuzz (most of the time a Guyatone TZ-2) into the Deep Impact.
    The poor thing then desperately tries to catch a pitch and randomly goes into playing harmonic suites. Very nice noises follow.

8. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    JazzAd: i meant like a real synth...Moogs, Korgs, Rolands, Modular Synths, etc

but that's cool too!

9. xray

xray

Feb 15, 2009
    Kona, HI
    Last time I ran my Fuzz into my Synth I got arrested. Glad there's a 1oz limit now.

10. When my band is jamming/rehearsing, we often run our synths (an Access Virus B and a Nord Lead 2) through my entire pedalboard. Usually on are a Devi Ever fuzz or two, and then some sort of modulation or delay. Gets an incredible synth lead tone.

11. he doesn't HAVE a synth hahaa

12. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Desperately work two jobs on the side because Dad's Wall Street job just evaporated, and download papers off the internet because there's no time to do classwork?

I ran a Micromoog through my pedalboard a couple weeks ago-- it sounded amazing with the Prunes & Custard.

13. i like the micromoog! but did you run your BASS through the MICROMOOG? THAT's where the fun starts haha

14. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quit giving me synth GAS you bastards! :D

I want a Moog synth but in the meantime I'm using SampleMoog's emulation software with my MIDI keyboard.

15. seacouch

seacouch

Apr 21, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I use virtual synths a lot, and run them through all kinds of external (physical) effects. Some favs: Prunes & Custard, Subdecay Noise Box, 4ms Atoner, Metasonix TX-1 Agonizer, TM-1 Waveshaper and TM-7 Scrotum Smasher (Metasonix stuff is awesome! The TM-5 preamp and TM-6 filter are next on my shopping list).
    I'm still looking for a job where I can draw a comfy salary for sitting around playing with this stuff. That's not too much to ask is it? Even during a recession/depression, society needs pioneers like us to pave the way for the rest of the herd. Otherwise, how can we call ourselves 'civilized'?

16. Reason has 3 state-of-the-art virtual synths and it's own VERY versatile distortion modeller with "simulated rack gear" feel

17. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Rack gear makes me cringe. :meh:

18. seacouch

seacouch

Apr 21, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Reason is a very cool program! I often start working on tunes in Reason, and then move them to Cubase or Protools as needed. But the tracks created in Reason are frequently good enough, and don't need to be redone.

19. Reason is a standalone package that assumes you won't need to record any external tracks - though I suppose you can import them with recycle or whatever.

I really wish I could use the sequencer from THOR as a midi controller for external synths... does anybody know an software synthesizer that can be used to "model" an old school CV step sequencer? Because I NEED that in my life, OK?

20. seacouch

seacouch

Apr 21, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The standalone nature of Reason makes it very handy to use as a 'sketch pad', on a laptop or whatever. You can link it to other programs via Rewire (I think that's what it's called), import MIDI, or use Recycle, but otherwise you can't bring in external tracks. However, it's fairly easy to export Reason MIDI and audio into other programs that are more versatile and/or feature-rich. That's what I usually do.

The Rewire approach might work for you. You can Rewire into Cubase, Protools, Reaper, etc.