1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your favorite PJ set

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Nov 1, 2013.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

What is your favorite PJ set? I find the EMG PJ set to be simply amazing in the right bass.

2. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    +1 on the EMG P/J set. A lot of my favorite tones come from it.

3. Brendan5

Brendan5

Jul 18, 2009
    G&l p with hot stack j. In my Squier.

4. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    I am starting a beautiful relationship with a set of DiMarzio Area's. Really struck gold with this combo.

5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I haven't tried all that many but I do love my EMG set and my Sadowsky set. For something a little less expensive the Dimarzio Model P/J set is pretty awesome too.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    EMG PJ set is right up there for me. Got them in 3 of my basses. I've got a 62 CS P from the early 2000's and a DiMarzio Ultrajazz in my 76 Precision that's working out very well, and a DiMarzio Model PJ set that's rocking this parts bass I have.

7. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    EMG PJ set for me too. The trick to liking them for me is- Toss out the EMG advise of putting those pickups close to the strings. It steals your tone and your dynamics. Much like setting the input gain too hot on a mixing console, putting the pickups too close to the strings is the same thing with EMGs.

8. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I like the DiMarzio model DP126 quite a bit. They really have a great growl. If I roll the p pick up off a bit, they even sound a bit like a MM pickup

9. deathsdj

deathsdj

Sep 18, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    DiMarzio Model DP126 P/J for me.

Cheers!

MJW

10. To my ears, a set of older DiMarzio P+J pups. Honestly, I don't have quite enough experience that'd be considered sufficient enough to judge the EMG's.

11. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I had an EMG P/J set in one bass that I was looking to change out to something different, namely passive. I have EMG P/J's in several basses and like how they act there - not so much here.

So a few months ago I put in a set of Aguilar P/J's run passive V-V-T and am absolutely floored by how good they sound. I posted a review so you can look it up.

This is a great set with matched pickups (for output) and are hum cancelling as well.

12. Catbuster

Catbuster Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    I like different sets for different sounds... For old school sounding stuff, I like the a Duncan SPB-1 or a Fender '62 with a Duncan STK-J2. For grunt and grind I love the Dimarzio DP126 set. For modern sounds, I like the SPB-3 and Dimarzio UJ. The EMG set works well too. I really like the MEC or Bartolini pickups in the Warwick Streamer LX too.

13. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    peavey active pj set from an old foundation s active. sound like emg's but not so thin. very great pickups :)

14. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    EMG, wired for 18 volt, simple volume/volume/tone setup. Not playing the P/J setup lately (just a P now) but I have for most of the last 25 plus years. Never could find a passive P/J set that I liked as much as the EMGs in my old Frankenbass.

15. PipeRain

PipeRain Operator Of Pointy Basses

Dec 4, 2012
    Seymour Duncan Active EQ's for me. I am kicking around the idea of throwing a set of EMG's in a bass as well as a Quarter Pounder PJ setup in another. At that point I will be out of basses to throw pickups in, so I guess I'll have to get another bass and keep the experimentation going....

16. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Favorite... Sadowsky P-J set and my Lindy Fralin P-J set with a 10% overwound J are my favorites. I do like my Lollar (10% overwound J) too. It's kind of like which of your 3 kids is your favorite. They're all special, and all different.

17. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    +1

18. I have Pat Wilkins' pickups in my main player PJ5 and they are my absolute favorite combo ever for a P/J. They sound great with Nickels and flats and have this growly vintage-y tone like crazy.

I had a Nordstrand NP5/Bigsplit in another bass I had a few years ago, and have no complaints about that set up either.

19. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Grateful - thanks for posting what you liked about the pickups and the exact model numbers. That kind of info makes this thread more useful to people looking to learn more about what pickups are out there.

20. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Nordstrand