1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your favourite recorded "live" tone

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 4StringDave, Jun 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Hi everyone

I always listen to "live" (I know some times they are re-recorded later) concert versions of songs when listening on YouTube etc, as I usually prefer them to the recorded album version. I was wondering what everyone's favourite "live" bass tones are?

Here are mine:

Paul Moore - Van Morrison

Lakland Jazz bass, with what sounds like rounds with both pickups on

Mark Griffiths - Everly Brothers Reunion

Jazz Bass - not sure of strings but flats I think, perhaps favouring the neck pickup - if anyone has any more info or thoughts please share...!

TheDirtyLowDown likes this.
  2. Epic song, but great Roger Waters bass tone starts at 6:25.

4StringDave and SunByrne like this.
  3. Beginning of the song at about 2:30, epic Geddy tone.

4StringDave and grouse789 like this.
  4. TheDirtyLowDown

TheDirtyLowDown

Mar 8, 2014
    Here's an opportunity to post a couple of live DB examples that do it for me:

Ron Carter, live with Jim Hall (All the Things You Are)

Christian McBride in a studio live recording with his band. It's not perfect -- (piano is out of tune) but that's a bass tone so huge that I could live inside it:

4StringDave likes this.
  5. SunByrne

SunByrne opinionated intellectual Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    Paul Denman in Sade Bring Me Home Live whenever he played the Stingray. Not a huge fan of the tone with the Gretsch, though—I mean, it's fine, but nothing standout about it—which unfortunately is most of the show.

Pretty much any time Tony Levin plays pretty much anything, but a particular nod to the tone he gets out of the fretless MusicMan Sabre he plays on "Sledgehammer."

Trent Reznor's fuzzed out P tone when he did "Reptile" with Peter Murphy. I still want to know what pedal he was using for that.

I can think of more but that's a good start.

4StringDave likes this.
  6. Jerry Scheff - Fender P Bass through a Fender Bassman amp. Live 1969 w/Elvis
    Listen to the whole thing. Jerry really gets going!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    4StringDave likes this.
  7. grouse789

grouse789 Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Westchester NY
    fer shure Geddy Lee's Rick tone on "Exit stage Left" VHS/DVD. Not so much the double album. the DVD/vhs bass tracks are amazing. They carried over somewhat to the Signals album. in particular the track "Countdown".
    Anyway a blistering Rick tone all narly and dirty!

Spectrum likes this.
  8. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Maybe not “favorite ever,” but really digging both the playing and tone on this whole live set:

4StringDave likes this.
  9. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    I don't know, but to me that's Zvex, but DI is what it looks like. White, BTW, is better known as Twiggy Ramirez. Great - thanx!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  10. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK

Willie Weeks. Alder/rw, flats strung pbass, probably through an SVT

11. SunByrne

SunByrne opinionated intellectual Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    Yeah, maybe a Mastotron. Also maybe a Brassmaster? hard to tell.

Yep. Murphy even grouches at him by that name when he misses coming in on backing vocals near the end. Cracks me up every time.

12. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    I think it's very cool to see Reznor more or less sitting back as they do his song, also - that's a good
    video, thanks.

13. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

8536DF51-CA58-4D59-A77D-67466B112641.jpeg

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021