Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your Opinions Of These Six Strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chump stain, Oct 12, 2003.

1. I've been looking at some six strings lately, and found a few in my price range that intrest me. The only problem is, I'm not going to be able to play some of these before I buy. I would like to keep it under $1000, but I might be able to go $1300. I'm really bias toward neck thru basses, but a bolt on is not out of the question.

I like these, what do you guys think.

Schecter Stiletto Studio 6
    Ibanez BTB1006e
    Warwick Corvette Standard 6 (used)
    Ibanez SR3006es
    Toby Pro 6 (musicyo.com)
    Peavey Cirrus (used)

I'm really leaning toward the Schecter, if you check out the specs, it seems like a real mean machine. And a great price too.
    I would probably have to get the Corvette used, since it's out of my price range. I have played the 5 string, so I know about the neck.
    I dont know any thing about the Toby.
    The BTB is stunning in it's looks, and I realy like Bartolini pickups. I've played a 5 string fretless version of this bass.
    There is a Cirrus at the store that is to die for, but I cant afford it.
    I'm more of a 35" scale guy, but if they can pull it off with 34" that's fine too.

There is also a Yamaha (TRB something) at my local shop. It's used and seems nice. let me know what you guys think of these, or if there is something else I should check out.
    Thanks

2. My friend has the Ibanez SR3005e which is the 5 string version. I personally think it is one monster of a bass and I can't imagine it's 6string brother to be bad at all!

3. You might also look at the Conklin Groove Tools GT-7. Great bass for the price and much easier to play than it might seem.

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    i would say either the Cirrus 6 or the BTB. I played a BTB recently, and i was blown away. great bass for the price. I know the prestige series you're lookin at should be better even. Also, what finish are we talkin on the Cirrus?

5. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    go with either the Warwick or Peavey...

I have both, and both are excellent basses.

The one thing to watch for with the Warwick, is that if you get a used one that the neck has not been adjusted properly, and has more bow then you like, it is near impossible to get it to straighten out. It seems that the wenge necks are so hard, that once they take an undesirable shape, it is really hard to move them. I have seen a few of poorly adjusted Warwicks out there (especially hanging) in stores....so poorly adjusted that no tweeking of the truss rod is going to help...and this is even more so with a 6. That said, if you like the feel and sound of Warwicks, there is no other bass comparable when you get one you like. I should make qualifier on this, most Warwicks are incredable. Personally, I love them and own several, but every now and then I see one and shake my head because it is soooooooo bowed. But...nothing sounds like a Warwick, and if you want that sound, there is no other way to get it.

The Peavey is a very good bass. Not a bad thing about it, just I don't think it has the distinctive sound that a Warwick does. If you want an instrument to fit everything, I am sure the Peavey will do it. Besides it looks great and plays great, too.

Stay away from the musicyo Toby (yup, got one of these, too) unless either 1) you have no other choice, or 2) plan on upgrading the electronics. It looks good, and even plays good, but unfortunately, the electronics are no up to par with the rest of the other basses you mentioned, or even up to par with the rest of the instrument itself.

just my two cents worth...

Steve

6. Thanks a lot guys!
    I think the GT7 is a bit too much for me.

I think the Cirrus I played at the shop had a maple top, flame or quilt, I cant remember. I know they have a varity to choose from. Being that I'd only be able to buy a used one, I'd have to go with what's avalible.

SMG, thanks for the tips on the Warwicks, I'll keep an eye open for that.

The Ibanez are impresive. I'm not sure about the 34" scale on the SR3006e though.

Me and my buddys at church always pick on each others guitars. We've come up with nick names to rag on them (all in good fun). Taylor trash, Lesser Paul, and Ibeenhad are some of the ones we throw at each other. So if I show up with an Ibanez, I'm going to take a beating, but if it's nice, I'll have make to make 'em eat their words:D

7. what's up chump stain! you might want to give the GT-7 a whirl. my buddy has one that he defretted and it's a monster. i thought it would be a beast, but it's pretty fun to play. you can find them used for a good price too. so how's yer DP holding up??

8. Hey Gusto!
    Long time no see!
    Yeah the DP is sweet, I just find myself wanting to go higher sometimes. :) So I'm lookin at some sixers. I still hear complements on the DP all the time.

Hows Ir? Haven't checked out the website lately, you still playin with them guys?

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    This is purely opinion, but I would jump on the TRB, myself. The TRB is the one of the finest basses _I've_ ever played, though I don't have as much experience as most others. It's simply the best six string neck that fits my hands, and the tone is to die for.

I was also really impressed with the Schecter. For some reason, I never liked the Peavey, and the Ibanez just didn't play right. But that's just me.

10. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I thought I was going to have trouble with it, too, but after 5 days, I think I'm getting use to it. And I've got arthritis(?). And I wanted an excuse to post this link of one I saw on Ebay.
    The sound on my GT-7, I find to be highly appealling(?) and clean. A real nice thud mid-range.(IMO)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2564165492&category=4713

11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, get the strings off or at least loosen them and leave it stabilize for a time (that can take long) and that might help... And now they come with Ovangkol necks & wenge boards, so that is a bit more adjustable.

So back to the original topic: I vote Warwick Corvette 6 - I own one, too, and absolutely love it. If you can get it used and for cheap, go for it! Quite versatile, and the slap tone is close to a Thumb with the proper EQ settings. The only problem is that its heavy and the 6 has a bit of a neckdive... but a good strap could fix much of that.

12. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I would say go with the Peavey, I have both a Cirrus and an Axcellerator, both 6 strings, and they are both amazing instraments with great elextronics and great low B's, I'm actually selling the Axcellerator right now cause I have some financial issues. If your intrested drop me a line.
    peace
    -Ben

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You know that I am going to say Cirrus.:D

If you are interested in the Corvette, make sure that you play one standing up with a strap for a few minutes.

They tend to be very heavy, and prone to neck dive, although not as bad as a Thumb. They are fine basses.

But IMHO, the Cirrus is more versatile. And it has much better ergonomics, and a better B string.

14. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hi CS:

I have played all of the basses you mentioned, and my choice would be the BTB 1006e -- It just rocks, and is a great bang for the buck.

That having been said, I actually own a Toby Pro-6, which I retrofitted with an all-Bartolini setup. IMO, it sounds as good as the BTB, but I'm more of a bolt-on man, so I like the feel of the BTB better.

Incidentally, I will probably be selling the Toby 6 (for a much cheaper price than the BTB), so if you're interested, shoot me a PM.

Regards,
    Aram

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    ditto

my Corvette pro 6 is a neck diver. i can't really play the dam thing :(

16. Right now there is some nice basses on ebay.
    a Yamaha TRB, a Cirrus, and a Hohner. Are Hohner's any good?

17. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    Hohners are much worse than the other basses on your list, I have two Yamahas (TRB6II; TRB6P), the TRB6P is a monster, the TRB6II is pretty good but better look for a used TRB6P. I have two Warwick 6ers (LX6,SS1-6 w/Barts) I'm selling my LX6 (EXCELLENT condition) but it might be out of your price range...I've never played a Corvette 6 so..but my '93 Corvette proline 5 sounds amazing but:D it has a custom ordered 3 piece maple neck so I have no idea about the "regular" corvettes.
    Anyway a used TRB6II (in good condition-about $600) is a great bass for the money!
    ps.I'm selling my TRB6II too, take a look..

18. Keech

Keech

Oct 16, 2003
    All in your head
    Naturally I'll say to buy the Schecter. It handles great, sounds great, looks great and will likely be a hell of a lot cheaper (probably $800 to $900 range).

19. Actually $699 was the quote I got from my local Guitar Store. See why I'm leaning toward the Schecter?:D

20. Got my eye on a TRB6 on ebay right now. So far the price is low.