1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

YouTube = Publication?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AnchorHoy, Apr 24, 2010.

1. AnchorHoy

AnchorHoy

Dec 29, 2008
    New Jersey
    I was reading through a general copyright info thread on another forum which stated that posting a YouTube video of an original work (i.e. not a cover tune) is considered "publication" for copyright purposes

All the stuff I have up is already registered with the LOC, but as Unpublished works, and the LOC FAQs and other info on their website doesn't address this specific scenario - YouTube video or MySpace audio. Neither of these have downloads enabled. I do know that if I Publish (by the LOC definition) and don't register as such within the required timeframe, then I'm potentially screwing myself later on as far as enforcing my copyrights to the max possible extent

If I have to, in order to preserve my full rights (and potential income) under the law, I'll take 'em down and repost after I come up with the scratch for the additional registrations. That may hurt me somewhat in the short-term, since I've been getting increasing interest on both YouTube and MySpace, but I still have enough time to get the additional copyright registrations in before the deadline for Publication if I really need to

Comments/experiences?

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I believe that's correct.

I'm unsure of the further implications.