1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zeta EB Educator Bass

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Doublebasstim, Jun 8, 2012.

1. I just played one of these at a store. It is selling for $1899. Is this a good price. Also I cannot find much info on zeta basses?

2. Zeta is out of business.
    You can find some info if you do a search in the forum.

3. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Sorry to hear they are out of business. I have the Crossover bass...it's a radical design and ergonomically speaking it takes a bit to get used to.....it's most comfortable when playing it in the electric bass position...or horizontally.

The bass sounds great when played in a low volume setting and really shines when plugged into a board....it records beautifully.

I also like the fact that you can plug your headphones in to the input jack and hear the bass with all the tone controls ..I wish more bass makers would do this....

I don't know much about the pricing ...

4. Stephen05301

Stephen05301

Dec 11, 2011
    I have a Zeta educator uprite. It is a great EUB and you should be able to get one for $900-1000. There has been one on ebay in that range. They play better than most EUB's I have played and their necks are very similar to a 3/4 upright bass.

5. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Howell, Michigan
    I played one this weekend, nice bass!

6. Guey

Guey

Sep 12, 2011
    I have a Zeta Strados uprite that is a step up from the Educator model. It has a number of dings (sides an back) so I would rate 8 out of 10. It comes with a bout attachment and a tripod stand as well as the endpin. I would sell it for $600 plus shipping.
    Interested send me a PM - Guey

7. Stephen, Hope you can help me. I just bought a used Zeta Educator bass on Craigslist. The original owner gave me all the Zeta lit that came with it new but no explanation of the controls. Does your Zeta have 4 knobs? I've seen pics of some with 3 and then 4 like mine. Easy to figure the vol, bass, etc. pots but the bottom knob is actually a stacked pot. Do you have any lit that covers this if your bass has 4 like mine. If you don't have the original lit maybe just your explanation would be fine. I can't find much out there on Zeta now that they have closed their doors. Thanks in advance for your help. Best regards, BigWookie.

8. Stephen05301

Stephen05301

Dec 11, 2011
    Mine has 3 knobs. Volume, treble and bass. Your fourth knob might be mids, high and low.

9. radioface

radioface

May 2, 2013
    I have a Zeta Educator EUB. I don't know if it is a good or bad bass but, it sure draws a lot of attention on stage and has plenty of volume to cut through the mix and is great for playing jump blues and swing. I was wondering what the fingerboard is made of? I read somewhere that it was hardwood. I thought maybe it was rosewood or maple but, hardwood?

10. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    A lot of Zeta basses had ovangkol fingerboards. It's a relatively common substitute for rosewood. Usually a bit lighter in color.

11. radioface

radioface

May 2, 2013
    Thanks, it is a pretty wood. Why didn't they just say ovangkol instead of hard wood? Do any other bass manufacturers use ovangkol for their fingerboards? Is ovangkol of the same quality as rosewood?

12. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Taylor and Martin have been using it as a sustainable alternative to rosewood for acoustic guitar bodies and sides for years now.

Warwick and other electric bass makers use it for fretboards and sometimes bodies.

Quality is subjective.