Zigeunerweisen Op.20

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Rob Sleeper, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Rob Sleeper

Rob Sleeper

Oct 13, 2005
    Hey everyone,
    Is this peice published for bass and piano or just for violin? Is it out on the market? Really cool piece!
  2. Illfavor

Mar 9, 2005
    I think Monti's Czardas is a hard enough Gypsy piece for the Bass. I've even heard Ravel's Tzigane performed on Double Bass...but Zigeunerweisen might be a bit much. I don't think it's been transcribed for Double Bass and Piano. This is all lies

I believe it was originally for solo Violin and Orchestra. This is true.
  3. Illfavor: It's been played already by plenty of bassists. It's been recorded by Edgar Meyer, Joel Quarrington, and DaXun Zhang, among others. I'm not sure if the sheet music is available.
  4. You will probably have to find the music for Violin, and then transcribe it yourself. Just listen to recordings (might I sugegst Edgar's?) and figure out what they do. You're going to have to play aorund with octaves, and that left hand pizz is practically impossible on bass. Good luck.
  5. Rob Sleeper

Rob Sleeper

Oct 13, 2005
    Yes thanks. I do have Edgars recording. I just love that peice! Very virtuoso-like.
  6. anthem274

Jul 19, 2003
    Arlington, TX
    Edgar's recording is delicious. Zigeunerweisen with virtousity cheese melted on top, served with a side of perfect intonation. Both rare and well done.