Zombi (bassist Steve Moore)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by hieronymous, Oct 24, 2017.

1. hieronymous

hieronymous Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Surprised there aren't any threads dedicated to Zombi - bass/drums/synth duo, Steve Moore is awesome! To me they are like an instrumental Rush-minus-guitar, post-Krautrock Goblin as a duo doing a John Carpenter soundtrack. I have almost all their albums including some of their solo stuff.

As much as I love them, this is only the first time I've been able to see them live. They did not disappoint, they gave it their all, playing the music with incredible energy along with the propulsive sequenced lines. Sometimes Steve Moore played keyboards (Moog, Prophet, Korg), sometimes he played bass (Fender Jazz through Ampeg SVT, considerably louder than everything else), sometimes he played both at the same time!

They are playing Portland & Seattle over the next couple of days - check them out if you are into instrumental prog!

37635781520_91d5dbdea6_z.jpg

37902836581_6f2a06dec7_z.jpg

grrg63 likes this.
  2. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    Im pretty sure Steve has been using that particular rig for years. Definitely the Jazz bass. Great band.

hieronymous likes this.
  3. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    this seems promising. i'm off to youtube.

4. hieronymous

hieronymous Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    This is my personal favorite - it's EPIC though - about 20 minutes - but I feel it pays off in the end. Plus I like the space footage the person added:

It comes from Surface to Air - probably my favorite album of theirs overall:

Shape Shift is their most recent - from 2015! - and kind of goes back to Surface to Air:

I'm going to have to go back and listen to the two albums that came out between these S->A and Shape Shift - I didn't get into them as much but that doesn't mean they aren't good! Just that they weren't what I was looking for at the time.

EDIT: Listening to Spirit Animal now - much more "produced" sounding, in that the first couple of songs sound like they overdubbed stuff without worrying about whether it could be reproduced verbatim as a duo, like electric guitars and bass parts played simultaneously with synth parts. There's stuff that sounds unplayable simultaneously, but at the show the other night he was playing the low E on the bass with his right hand while playing synth with his left! Take that Geddy!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  5. nattiep

nattiep

Sep 16, 2008
    Buffalo, NY
    When I saw them open for Ghost last year he was playing a Rickenbacker.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021