Zon

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Christopher M, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Christopher M

Christopher M

Jul 14, 2020
    Has anybody had issues recently with ordering/contacting Zon Basses

murphy likes this.
  2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    murphy likes this.
  3. Christopher M

Christopher M

Jul 14, 2020
    Yeah all good, just curious as i don't see many for sale anywhere.

4. wellso74

wellso74 Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Richmond, Virginia
    I personally have been in contact with Joe and one of his reps within the past few week in regards to a bass I ordered. He has responded to all of my emails- sometimes it has taken 12 hours or so- thats not unreasonable.

5. I knew a girl who called herself Zon.
    She was a firecracker.

6. I'm just wondering what's going on with @mrgittleman 's Vinny 6. If I was to place an order, that is the model I'm interested in.

mrgittleman and wellso74 like this.
  7. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

They moved a while back.
    Then the Coronavirus shutdown.

Helix likes this.
  8. ToP fan

ToP fan Gold Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Waterloo, Ontario
    zon.jpg
    Always think of this album from my youth- Obscure Toronto prog rock band.....................

Christopher M, Qlanq and mikewalker like this.
  9. mrgittleman

mrgittleman

Dec 23, 2003
    NYC
    Unlike others on this thread have not been able to get a hold of Joe in quite a while. I have emailed and called and nothing. I’m still waiting for my Vinny going on five years now. The situation is approaching the absurd. If anyone has any ideas on how to deal with this situation please PM or post here.

10. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    No, but looks like bad/good basses. Better to check out before buying.

11. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Washington DC
    I don't care how custom it is, 5 years for a bass is waaaayyy beyond absurd.

BluesWalker, JeroB666 and wellso74 like this.
  12. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego
    5 years is crazy. I ordered a Vinny 6 back in 2015. It took 18 months for me to receive it, and I thought that was unreasonable.

TolerancEJ, lowendrachel and wellso74 like this.
  13. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I was quoted 10 months, and now I'm coming up on 24. I was getting responses before (Only reaching out once a month at most), and now it's about 50 / 50. I reached out to a well known endorsee of Zon, who actually responded to me after about 45 minutes and offered to try and ask for me the next time he saw Joe face to face. That would be one heck of a favor if he comes through, I'm certainly not going to hold him to it :)

Anyway, I feel for everyone who is waiting, and I wish I wasn't a part of that group. Honestly I thought that maybe the quarantine would give Joe a chance to work on a few instruments and get a few orders delivered without a massive influx of new orders. Maybe not though!

14. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Based on the time frame you and Mrgittleman ordered around the same time. It's baffling that you would get your bass so long ago and he would still be waiting!

15. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego
    They told me the delay was due to Bartolini; they PU company had just been sold and it was taking time for the new owners to ramp production back up. IDK, I had not other info to go on.

I emailed them a month or so asking about the lead time for a new Vinny 6 fretless. I was told 12 months, I balked. I was then told they have some "special" slots and could deliver it by the end of the year. I was skeptical so I did not go through with the order.

mrgittleman likes this.
  16. mrgittleman

mrgittleman

Dec 23, 2003
    NYC
    With Joe it’s completely unknowable why some instruments get delivered in nine months and some the wait is extraordinarily long. My build sheet is up on the Zon club pt 5 thread. One of the delays maybe is I asked for three custom things: 32” scale, Nordstrand pu
    and hipshot graph tech piezo bridge. I have been regularly checking in with Nordstrand shop and Joe has yet to order the pick ups as of this week. I have never received any photos or indication that the build has even started. I do know of one other person on TB who has been waiting considerably longer than I.

17. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    I'd say the pickup thing is probably true. My Legacy Elite 519 needed some more time as the pickups are custom and the "new" Bartolini wasn't making them. Apparently mine were hand-wound by Bill himself to meet obligations.

That said, I "only" had to wait around two years but I did receive the bass and it is fantastic. I really feel for those who are in it or the long (and longer) haul and dealing with communication issues as well.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  18. hdfixer

hdfixer Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Morgan Hill CA
    I have a '97 Sonus Deluxe 6 string I purchased new and used VB-5, and I love them both I also own a G. Gould GGi4 and a GGi5 and highly recommend anyone who is frustrated with Zon delivery times to check out G. Gould basses. Beautiful craftsmanship and tone for days. To my ear every bit as good as Zon and maybe a bit more. And Geoff posts here monitoring the Modulus and G. Gould bass threads on the Basses forum. Great guy!

For the carbon fiber hat trick I also own a 4 string Status Stealth that's off the hook. Another great choice, even with the cost of customs duty. The best finish work on any of my basses, even my Alembics. Worth considering and in these covid times they have in stock basses ready to sell!

BluesWalker and Joshua like this.
  19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I spoke with him this week (by email), so they're around/working.

mrgittleman likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021