Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zoom B2.1U

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Spacelordmother, Jan 18, 2006.

1. I've been reading up on this pedal a lot lately, and I've read some really good things. One thing I was wondering though is if you can use the USB out (with the included Cubase software) with a mic or a guitar... as in, would I be able to use this unit to effectively record other parts of a track into my computer?
    I've looked around for information about this, though I found only a few things and was hoping maybe some people who own one of these units might hold the answer. Thanks!

2. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    I'm interested in the answer too,
    no one?

3. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I have one and the recording function is working really well for me. As a matter of fact, I just finalized my first home recording production ever. It's a slightly strange song and you may or may not like it! The drums were done in Guitar Pro the rest in Cubase LE, the program that came with the B2.1u.

http://mitglied.lycos.de/brixelfumpf/pony/

I have no clue if you can also hook up microphones to the B21.u as I don't own one but I kind of doubt it as the B2.1u doesn't have an XLR input. It would be cool if it were possible, though.

4. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy

the b2 1u does have an xlr out.

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Yep, but in order to connect a mike, you need an XLR input.

6. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    you're right...:meh:

7. ...or an XLR to 1/4" impedance converter.

8. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    Phxl, thanks for the song. In the first song you seem to use a tremolo patch applied to guitar, is it a b2.1u's patch or another effect? pretty cool song (a little strange indeed:bassist: )

9. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    All effects are straight from the b2.u, I administered a heavy dose of tremolo and a bit of delay to the first one and added only a tad of reverb and delay to the second one. The distortion later on is even a factory preset, I forget which one.
    Man, distortion with some added clean signal which is pretty much the way to go on bass really sounds horrible for guitar, I can tell you!

I then added some heavy compression the the bass (pretty much by accident) so the notes sustain almost forever. Granted, it's a bit low in the mix, but it's still noticeable. I used my defretted Ibanez ATK for the first and my Status Energy fiver (tone way down, played with a pick so it sounds almost like a P bass) for the second one.

"Popes of New York (PONY)" is now my very own lo-fi home recording project, it's so lo-fi, it's almost hi-fi. :bassist:

Another word of warning: Cubase LE doesn't seem to have a drum computer, which is a major drawback. Fortunately, Guitar Pro 5 has some pretty awesome drum sounds.

10. Sounds good phxlbrmpf, getting serious GAS for this pedal now. Anywho...you mentioned you did the drums with Guitar Pro, doesn't the B2.1U have a drum machine? Why didn't you use that?

11. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Yes it does but although it sounds pretty good, the drum machine is very limited and in order to create clean loops and work in fills with it you'll have to cut and paste sound bits in Cubase.

I suppose if you only want a simple rhythm, it should be sufficient, though. I'm working on a new track at the moment, and I'll probably try to work in the B2's inbuilt drum machine as an overdub in some places, let's see.

12. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    Phxl, after having the b2.1u for a while, do you think that the possibility of changing the parameters of the effects with the pedal is really usefull or just a plus, and what do you think of the wah wah.

I hesitate between the b2 and the b2.1u, so any comment will be helpfull for me and others i suppose.

And continue your good work:bassist:

13. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    New song! I added a brief demonstration of the B2's drum machine to the end. :D
    That's all it does, really, except with 40 different patterns and different speeds, of course. Not that great for songwriting, though.

http://mitglied.lycos.de/brixelfumpf/pony/

hervetlse, I'm not exactly an expert on wah pedals, but I think the inbuilt one is pretty cool, you could prepare a patch with a distortion parameter, set the pedal to "drive mix" and adjust the amount of distortion with the pedal, for example. Personally, I'd rather switch patches, though.
    The wah seems pretty cool as well, it really shines with the distortion and synth patches and can act as some sort of tone control as well, but the "clean" wah patch doesn't seem to do much. The way the pedal operates could be a bit "tighter" for my tastes, though, if you give it a good stomp, you've already pressed it all the way down and I don't think there's a way to change this. Looks like you need lots fine motor skill in your toes. :p

14. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    thank you Phxl for your answers and your songs (a new funky one peraphs?).

In my setup i have ten pedals but i lack tremolo/vibrato, chorus/phaser/flanger and an octaver. Do you think the B2/B2.1u will be able to fit the bill in these departments?:help: :hyper:

15. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I'd say "definitely". The vibrato and chorus sound awesome (to me) and so does the flanger. The octave down effect is very smooth and natural-sounding. Don't forget that the B2 can do octave up as well.

16. I've got one now and I'm loving it! It's only been here a few days, so I know that as I learn to better customize my patches, I'll start to love it even more.

i am using an external footswitch to control the bypass/tuner, but does anyone know if i should be able to use it for both? using the switches on the Zoom, you hit them together for bypass, hit them and hold for 1 second to mute and go into the tuner. when i hit my external footswitch, the unit goes into bypass for about 2 seconds and then directly into tuner mode. i would like to be able to hit it for bypass, or hold it for tuner, just like the regular buttons operate on the unit. hope this makes sense.... any help or ideas? thanks!

17. bump for the edit. :)

18. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Does anyone else have problems with annoying feedback at high volumes? I think I narrowed the problem down to the equalizer plugins.
    Or perhaps I've simply made my patches too loud.

19. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I think the EQ and the compressor patches were the culprits, I guess I turned them up too high.
    I also put my EBS MultiComp in front of the Zoom and got rid of the B2's inbuilt compressor, I kind of prefer the sound of the EBS.

I also discovered something neat: if you link the distortion patches with wah, you can do additional tone shaping and get more top end out of the distortion and get more overtones to make your sound broader.

20. Alfs

Alfs

Jul 30, 2012
    Bom dia! Sou novo aqui mas achei uma configuração.
    Aproxima um pouco do fretless.
    Comp LM .....3.....8.....80
    Wah..df.....15.....35.....5
    Synth...tu.....1.....7.....78
    Znr...Z5.....90.....66
    Lo eq.....LE.....2.....2.....6
    Hi.....HE.....3.....6.....8
    Mod..CH.....78.....21.....82
    Delay.....dl.....64.....6.....22
    Reverb...OFF

Espero ter ajudado.