1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Zvex Fuzz Factory Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lobsterdeth, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Lobsterdeth

Lobsterdeth

Jan 6, 2008
    Tijuana
    Hi guys I am planning on getting a Fuzz Factory, I am not really convinced by the Mammoth, but I was just wondering if anyone has any clips or demos of it on bass?

I really like it cause of the whole noise and squeals and fuzzy configurations and ****.

2. totalimmortal08

totalimmortal08

Jan 21, 2008
    i tired it at my local shop. it's a cool pedal and all, but for bass, no. to much low end loss

3. perk45

perk45

Feb 2, 2008
    austin, tx
    I have a Vexter Fuzz Factory that I use for the noise and squeals on bass. I really like using it as a fuzz/distortion with my guitar, but totalimmortal is right, its got too much loss of lows to really be usable.

4. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I tried a friend's, and I have to agree. The low end loss is terrible. Also not many usable sounds unless the compression is pretty high. The pedal makes some rather nasty squeals and unless you're in a band where the bass is constantly playing with no spaces, you're gonna have to learn to like the angry looks from your bandmates, or get a volume pedal.

5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    A friend of mine built a clone and changed a couple of caps to make it bass friendly. So it should be easy enough to mod one. I'd like to build one too some day for fun!

6. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    I like using mine, fantastic pedal, but agreed, a lot of low end loss.

The bassist for Thrice uses one btw :)

7. I have one for guitar, never tried it on bass, never bothered, because I don't see it sounding good at all.

8. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    I think if you ask Mr. Vex he can tell you how to mod one

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I had one for a while, but gave it to my guitarist. He puts it to good use with a 7 string guitar. On bass, it just doesn't do it for me, though I like the gate and comp controls.

10. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    According the schematic I have, the input and output caps are rather large. So a single cap change should do the trick.

11. Blankmann44

Blankmann44

Sep 23, 2007
    +1 to everyone that noted the low end loss. NOT for bass. (maybe if you messed around enough with blending options or eq pedals)

12. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    Also, this is more or less and Tone Bender clone with more controls and tweaks.

13. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I thought he used a blue beard and the line6 DM4? Although I think the last time I saw a pic of his board was the alchemy index session picks, so maybe he does now.

14. totalimmortal08

totalimmortal08

Jan 21, 2008
    i saw the dude from thrice with a mammoth. i think it was in the pedal board of the stars thread not to long ago

15. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Sorry, but I have to disagree. A Tone Bender is basically a Muff for the most part. I can't recall what fuzz the FF is based on, but it's a more classic fuzz.

Yes, I was in on the big cloning at BYOC a while back and built one. Totally wasn't for me.

16. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    Bassfuzz.com just featuered the Woolly if you're interested in clips.

I'd try a HBE Big D great overall controlability and tone.

17. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    Well the Tone Bender is a Fuzz Face/Big Muff hybrid. The Fuzz Factory is a three transistor circuit like the Tone Bender but the second and third stages are sorta Fuzz Face like.

18. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Fuzz face, thanks. Been away from the solder too long :)

19. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    I really want to audition one of these for the fuzz spot on my board.

mastotron.

Looks very interesting and affrodable, $149.00USD

20. Lobsterdeth

Lobsterdeth

Jan 6, 2008
    Tijuana
    Well, I have a split signal, so I don't really lose much low end even when I use an HM-2 or a NYC Muff, that won't be much of a problem to me.

Is it fixable by turning your volume knob all the way down? That's what I do when either of my distortions or overdrive decide to go crazy...