Zyex strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Francois Blais, May 30, 2021.

1. Hi.
    Just wanted to ask if people are still playing on Zyex strings, or if they switched to something else.
    If you're still playing them, what gauge are you using?

Thanks in advance!
    François

2. bassmanbrent

bassmanbrent Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    I still like the D and G from the Zyex light set.

3. Thanks Brent.
    I put lights A&D on my bass today, but they need to settle in, of course.
    They are not completely new.
    For the moment, they have lots of growl, the D being somewhat nasal.

4. mikeGJ

mikeGJ Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Grand Junction, CO
    Still using Lights.

Thinking about putting on a new set that I bought over a year ago.

5. Thanks Mike.
    Did you try the mediums too?
    If so, how do you compare them please?

6. bassmanbrent

bassmanbrent Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    For sure! I feel that Zyex take longer to settle in, sound-wise than most strings. They can stay pretty boingy for up to a week in my experience. Even if they're not new but are newly installed.

7. Matthias Hacker

Matthias Hacker

Apr 8, 2018
    I have Zyex lights on my bass. Yes, during the first two weeks these sound weird, but once they settle in these strings are fine. Balanced sound and feel over the 4 strings, tension is right, not floppy at all, they bow at least ok and I think the thump/sustain thing is well balanced, what makes them a fine hybrid string. Very reliable string in all aspects I´d say. But still it´s hard to really fall in love with them and I´d wish to have strings with a bit more thump/attack and a shorter sustain on my rock solid old Rubner Busetto.

8. Thanks.
    Did you try Obligatos?

9. mikeGJ

mikeGJ Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Grand Junction, CO
    Lights sounded better on my ply bass (Shen 88), and had easier feeling on my hands, as a bonus.

They do go through some break-in stages, before settling.

10. Matthias Hacker

Matthias Hacker

Apr 8, 2018
    Yes I once had Oblis on my Bass, but that´s long time ago. I remember that I did´nt like them rolling under the fingers. My Bass was a bit chocked back than, and these strings sounded weak.

11. Ok, thanks.

12. sidewaysbass

sidewaysbass

Jan 24, 2009
    I had Zyex lights on my bass for a little over a year. I liked them okay for pizz after about a month, but the A string just never settled down for me. It always felt like it was from a different set, super twangy and a hair louder than the rest of the set. In general they were too bright for my bass, but they replaced an 8 year old set of Obligatos...so that makes sense. Ended up moving to a set of Kaplan Mediums when I started taking orchestral lessons during the pandemic. I like the Kaplan's much more than the Zyex, for both pizz and arco.

13. Thanks.
    Kaplans are indeed damped strings with a warmer and quieter profile.

14. Matthias Hacker

Matthias Hacker

Apr 8, 2018
    Francois, did you try Innovation Super Silvers or Silver Slaps?

15. Yes, I have both of these (D&G).
    Super Silvers are better then Slaps to me but I feel they lack something.
    Some life, some spirit. Hard to describe...
    They feel somewhat plain to me. But I have a cheap bass, so YMMV of course.

16. elmer

elmer

Oct 1, 2004
    Finland
    Matthias, Evah Pirazzi weichs could be just what you are looking for.
    BTW, I like Supersilvers very much on my jazz bass (with Perpetual E) after many years with Velvet Animas. SS are awful to bow though.

Matthias Hacker likes this.
  17. leonard

leonard

Jul 31, 2001
    Yurop
    Zyex Mediums have some nice mwah and a lot of sustain. Anyhow, I just went back to my trusty Evah weichs because I want that ping.

18. stefaniw80401

stefaniw80401 Supporting Member

May 18, 2004
    Evergreen, Colorado
    Gotta love that EP ping on the attack. Is there another string(s) that has this quality?

19. Matthias Hacker

Matthias Hacker

Apr 8, 2018
    My set of Zyex light started to sound dull more and more, I guess I am a string killer kind of player.
    So I put a set of Evah lights on. I did play them some years ago, but my bass has a different setup now and I thought it was time for a second try due to your recommendations here.

In direct comparison to Evahs I´d say that Zyex has more of a typical steel string character. Really different to Evahs in terms of attack or let´s call it the envelope of the notes. I´d call the Zyex a kind of hybrid between steel and synthetic.

Of course the Evahs sound and feel great at home, no surprise. I hope they will do so during the upcoming gigs so that I can stick with them a bit longer...

20. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I always found the Zyex lights falls right in between EP lights and Spiro weichs. I sort feel it combines the best of both those stings (metal sounding string with some old school thump). I eventually changed them out since they were too soft sounding in acoustic playing situations with groups.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021