ZZTop "playing" live to bass tracks !?!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by HUnt49, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Anyone else notice that Billy's playing Bo Diddley's guitar?

bobyoung53 likes this.
  2. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005

That's the Gretsch Billy-Bo Jupiter Thunderbird, a joint Billy Gibbons-Bo Diddley effort that came out in 2005. There is also a bass version. Having a Gretsch bass would be nice.

3. bearfoot

bearfoot Inactive

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY

2:12 or so when beard gets in his face

I don't think that's left hand hammering, it's too smooth and consistent with the notes before and after the right hand raises

4. Feedbacker

Feedbacker

Jan 25, 2014
    Necrothread alert...

5. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I like ZZ Top a lot but when I saw them perform as part of a show with John Fogerty at Wolftrap recently I thought they seemed really tired and anemic.

6. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Yes he stops picking, and the bass stops thumpin. What you may think you're hearing is really the kick bass and guitar.

IamGroot likes this.
  7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I saw that combo too and ZZ Top was slow getting up to speed at Canandaigua as well - turned out pretty good, but yeah, just nowhere near as intense as Fogerty, who was just incandescent. Shining like a falling star...

8. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Fogerty was astoundingly good. I loved it when his son, Shane, came up to play guitar alongside him.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    bholder likes this.
  9. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Watched the video a couple of times. IMO, he's playing (but not so well). The bass stage sound is terrible, and the bass drum is covering it over. He seems not to be playing when he is doing an open A because he is using his left hand to sound it. I do this a lot when turning pages on sheet music. I think he was trying to signal the sound crew or trying to get the beard out of his face.

10. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    John Fogerty recorded the live studio album "Premonition" in 1997 with killer versions of most of the original CCR hits. Great album. Bob Glaub on bass, Kenny Aaronoff on drums. This is my go-to album to get CCR bass lines for covers.

I presume John was mad with his original band over the music rights to his songs and this album was a spanking.

11. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    The story there is a long and sad one.

12. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Yep, and he put 100% into that performance to show who the real talent was. Absolutely flawless performance, plus no detuned guitars.

13. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    There’s something about John Fogerty that evokes such strong emotions in me. I suspect that’s true of a lot of his fans. There’s a powerful connection there.

OldDog52 likes this.
  14. ClusterFlux

ClusterFlux Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    As a few other people mentioned, the bass like was probably overdubbed for the video/recording.

I also have to point out that some bands have musicians offstage. Keyboards are fairly common, they also use vocalists and guitars offstage. I don't know if bands typically have bassists offstage though.

15. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I didn't think it was overdubbed as the bass playing was "below par" for Dusty.
    Rick Danko completely redubbed his bass parts for the Last Waltz

16. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    Fogerty’s autobiography is a good read that helps explain why there will probably never be a CCR reunion of any kind.

Fortunate Son: My Life, My Music

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0316244589/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_yEToBb23EMHH4

45AE3119-C9EB-4036-B239-FA112F2CBB88.jpeg

selowitch and IamGroot like this.
  17. I think the note's sustaining and the kick drum makes it seem like it's being plucked, rotten sound though, no bottom really, all the bottom is coming from the kick which is way too loud.

IamGroot likes this.
  18. Sure it is, GWB made it up!

JimmyM likes this.
  19. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Indeed not. Thanks for recommending the book. As it happens, I read it shortly after it came out. Quite a read!

OldDog52 likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021