ZZTop "playing" live to bass tracks !?!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by HUnt49, Aug 27, 2010.

1. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    You all do realize.... the audio and video aren't always synced up at the same time?

It is cut and pasted, and moved around, and remixed and all that.

Not ALWAYS anyways, but it is done.....

2. Hughsie

Hughsie

Nov 21, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    If I remember rightly, the video is a piece of light-hearted classic promo-video-style miming - they played the original parts (pretty certain they're credited on the album), so technically, they're miming to themselves!

3. Now ZZ Top area huge favorite of mine, but...

I believe this came up yrs ago when the did the Super Bowl halftime. And I also recall the Black Crowes getting booted off their tour for outing ZZ on this.

4. jmarnett

jmarnett

Oct 14, 2009
    What is Dusty using for a rig in that video, it doesnt look like he's using anything.

5. edmidlifecrisis

edmidlifecrisis Registered mediocre bass player

Showing my ignorance now;

What is a "CLAM"? never heard that expression before. No smartass comments......

6. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    It's slang for a wrong note.

7. edmidlifecrisis

Thanks. It seems that I must be the clam-meister, then.....

8. HUnt49

HUnt49

Jan 14, 2008
    I haul in enough to keep the Gulf Coast crews employed for months. :)

9. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Clam chowder master-chef myself.;)

10. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    I was the clam-meister Friday night. Couldn't play a mistake-free song to save my life! Even the one I wrote, I clammed it up! I was stinkin' up the joint like rancid clam gumbo!

Could've used a prerecorded backing track or two!

I did better Saturday night. Maybe just a fried clam entree...

11. badstonebass

badstonebass

Jun 7, 2006
    ohio
    yes...Dusty can't play so they hire some guy to stand offstage and play:rolleyes: Even better he needs Pre-recorded tracks because the bassline is so hard in a ZZ Top tune.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

12. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005

I didn't know about the Black Crowes complaining about ZZ Top. I do know they've sued Gretchen Wilson for copyright infringement. I don't know how that turned out.

13. jmela

jmela

Jul 24, 2007
    IIRC that was for BC making fun of ZZ having Miller beer as a tour sponsor or something to that effect.

14. This is a necessity for the Super Bowl, no matter the artist. It's the highest-profile gig possible in an extremely difficult physical environment....producers ain't takin no chances.

15. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    This was it.

16. HUnt49

HUnt49

Jan 14, 2008
    Yeah, remember when ZZ Top had a wardrobe malfunction?

17. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Inactive Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they were all playing live over recorded tracks that also included their parts. Thanks to all the wigglin' chicks and Madonna, every show now has to be a huge production otherwise they won't sell tickets.

There are exceptions (home grown boy Bruce comes to mind) but many use "tricks" live. Depending on the songs, the Police in the 1980s had the bass tech play on several songs that Sting played the Zeta stand-up bass over. The Rolling Stones actually use a second drummer for Charley Watts. If you watch the live shows you can see them usually hidden somewhere behind the stage or near a big obstacle. My all-time bass god Brian Wilson plays bass on a few songs when he tours, however the bass line is also usually played by the keyboard guys left hand so even if Brian misses no one knows.

Shame. It used to be you went to see a band live to see them play. And you used to get totally different versions live. Now all you get is what is on the recorded version.

Unless of course, you come hear me. I'm live, clammy and don't care...

18. edmidlifecrisis

It's sad but true. Everyone's aging. The Moody Blues have had a supplemental drummer for a while. Old Graham is getting up there.....they're still a great band...

19. pit7

pit7

Jul 30, 2010
    Why cheating?

The whole song is not really filled with secrets...even I can play it totally drunk at 3 am and Dusty seems in shape and it's supposed to be earlier.

As it was said on the first page of this conspirancy-thread...Dusty plays high gain and I can not hear any attack while the right hand is off.

20. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Another point I don't think has been brought up is that often they film the same band, wearing the same clothes (or not), doing the same set, playing the same guitars (or not) over several shows and then put shots from all the shows over whatever night's track you are hearing.

This causes a lot of sinc problems as you might be seeing the player in the shot for that part of the song from night 1 while actually hearing the recording from night 2.

Van Halen's "Right Here, Right Now" DVD is a great example of this as there are numorous times what their playing is not sincing up exactly with what they visually just played.
    What really gives it away is Sammy, unlike the rest of the band, wore different clothes each night so his outfit is changing from camera angle to camera angle during the same song.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021