1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

10 vs. 12

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by EvanGregor, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Hi everyone

I have a 12" Raezer's edge cabinet that sounds great- it is however a bit large and heavy to cart around for many of the jazz gigs where I need only a tiny bit of help from the amp. For clubs with loud music, it works far better than the old GK combo which didn't quite cut it for me.

I'm looking at these Wizzy 10" that everyone loves-- and am curious about the difference between a 12", 300 watt cab like the Raezer's edge and a 10 in terms of volume/power.

Esentially I'm wondering if I should try to sell the Raezers edge, or based on your experiences, if there is enough difference that it is good to also have the 12" for very loud gigs. It seems more and more apparent that 'stats' aren't enough to go by, ie this is bigger/more watts therefore must be X louder/better. Thanks

2. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    This is a gross oversimplification, so take it w/ another grain of salt ... But for deep, deep & thick lows, the 12" is gonna move more air, if that's what moves ya. But ... That's not always what it takes to be heard (vs. felt) "better", especially in a dense mix or in a noisy room. That's where the mids are crucial IMO. And "mid-range" in and of itself is a broad term that means different things to different people. IME that's one of the areas where the EA cabs (and others) seem to excel in a live setting. I have not heard a Raezer's Edge in person, so I can't compare. Sorry.

OTOH I can also say that I have heard some 10-inch drivers that can generate some serious low end. The Epi UL-110 comes to mind. Especially if the cab is up against a wall or in a corner.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there are lots of ways that different cabs can sound different (including where they are placed in the room) and vary in their output / perceived volume besides just the size of the driver. The suggestion of auditioning the Wizzy 10 in person is a good one if you can swing it somehow.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021