1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

100 pounds of UGLY

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tuBass, Oct 2, 2009.

1. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    ok, a coujple of days ago I sw a listing on craiglst for a BXR300C for $100. I first wondered if I was being scammed, or the speaker was blown out or something. I headed right over there to see what the deal was, even though I dont NEED another amp. Right now I have a 300C that has been removed from the case, so it's just being used as a head to power my cabs. I like it that way, it's more portable.

I figure even if the speaker is GONE, the head is still worth $100 as a backup to what I have now.

when I got over there I saw why the guy was only asking $100. It was UGLY as sin, and the casters had been removed. Anybody who knows these amps knows they are incredibly heavy, and without casters it's not something I would normally deal with. I test it out, it sounds great, so I shove it in the back of my sunfire and I'm on my way.

here's what it looked like when I brought it home
    ugly.

here's what it looked like the next day after I removed what was left of the tolex (which had been painted WHITE), and painted the particle board with spray on bedliner.
    notsougly.

so for $100, $10 for the bedliner, and another $10 for casters (coming from ebay) I have a back up amp that I could use in lots of different ways, including a keyboard amp for my wife, or maybe even a subwoofer for my band.

I love craigslist, I got my t-40 from there, also for $100, and I never want to play anything else...

2. Thats Cool Man.
    Congrats :)

3. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Nice catch and recovery job. :)

4. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    What a relief. That title was about a bass amp. For a minute there, I was afraid you had a picture of me when I was 15.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That amounts to Grand Theft BXR. Great catch!

6. mrwink

mrwink

Apr 30, 2000
    Los Angeles area
    nice - my first bass amp was a BXR300C - and yes, it was heavy and big, but it did sound ok.

7. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    from what I can tell so far the speaker is the weak link in the setup. I like the way my Eminence Kappa Pro 15LF sounds in my other cab alot more.

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The speaker/box is the weak link in those, the head plugged into a decent cab isn't too bad at all. Good find. Same goes for the older yorkville blue carpeted combo's, pull that head out and plug it into a decent cab and you'll be impressed.

9. brandtb

brandtb

Aug 27, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Nice find! I had one in the early 90's and sold it after the band broke up. I just didn't have the room in my apartment for that behemoth.

For what I wanted and needed at the time, that amp suited me very well. I never had a problem being heard with that amp.

If I hadn't sold it, I might even still be playing it today...but I do like my GB rig!

Enjoy!

10. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    :D

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I saw that ad, nice to know a fellow TB'er got the deal. Nice work.

12. I would've left it white and ugly. :D i think its looks interesting that way.

13. Oops!! I also thought for a moment you'd somehow gotten a hold of a pic of my weirdo ex-wife . . :eek: ..when I read that "100 pounds of UGLY" I knew for sure the jig was up.. (whew..)

14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Nice score! Congrats!

15. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    wow, has it been over two years already?

remember how I said the speaker was the weak link in the setup? I plugged it in, played a few notes on it, and the full range output was weak. in fact it sounded a lot like a subwoofer after the crossover takes out everything above a certain frequency.

well I forgot about the amp while it was sitting in my sunroom, but over the summer I loaned it to a student of mine. He was playing in a garage band, and needed something to keep up with the guitarist. I told him he could have the whole thing for $150.

He loved the amp and thought it sounded great, which I thought was weird, and told him he needs to hear my setup with my kappa 15lf before he judges how an amp sounds.

well a few months passed, and today I asked him to bring it back. I was going to pull the power amp, and trash the rest. before I did that, I plugged it to give it another chance to impress me.

OMG. the thing sounded great, in some ways, smoother and clearer than my 15lf, perfect for the kind of music my classic rock band plays and being a fender cab with the script, it would look more vintage on stage.

So I took the speaker out to see what was up. it had an eminance 15 in it! I guess the first time I tried it I didn't let the speaker break in and it just wasn't responding, but it sounds great now. I'm thinking of putting some monster casters on it, and using it with the band

16. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    wait, so you bought it for $100, then effectively rented it out for $150?

well done icon_hail.

17. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    no, he never bought it, that was just what I would have sold it to him if he had come up with the money. I figured the power amp was worth more than that, but I was doing him a favor

I'm buying casters for it tomorrow. this thing feels like it's made out of 1 inch thick STONE

18. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I play the same combo at rehearsal at it's a killer amp. Always can count on it !
    For 100 bucks, it's a super deal !

19. SoJaded84

SoJaded84

Dec 24, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Nicely restored!

20. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    this was my first "real" amp too--- i actually had TWO of these (one with red knobs, and one with black ones)... kind of big and dumb... the emi speaker is only rated for like 150 watts (or so i have read). i blew mine pretty quick. replaced with 1502 4-ohm black widows before i knew crap about speakers, which nearly doubled the output... really. way way way more output. the two of them together would get fairly ridiculously loud. but SO heavy, and not entirely flexible for anything but vanilla tone. still, the two of them stacked was pretty menacing! and that was *before* you tried to move them. menacing wasnt quite the word for that undertaking....