Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

101 uses for a remington

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by moped10, Aug 4, 2004.

1. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    here's a trick I tried out with great success this morning:
    to players with plain guts (plain gut strings to you wiseacres)- the post-long-gig hairs on my strings drive me crazy and I've used nail clippers, fine grade sandpaper, etc., but this morning (instead of making the kids' lunches) I got out my remington electric razor- It worked so well (beard trimmer for the big hairs/circular blade for the smalls), I'm thinking of taking a case to the next rockabilly/bluegrass fest and selling them (priced to cover my expenses of course) :D

2. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    When I read the title I thought it was going to be something about 101 ways to shoot a drummer. :)

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I've heard of the old guys doing the same with a Zippo lighter.

4. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    I dunno, Ray, seems like it'd be tough to shoot a drummer with a Zippo lighter...

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It is a little slower, but much more gratifying.

6. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    as long as you leave enough fluid to do the guitarist-
    (wait, that doesn't sound right)

7. I've always wanted to remember to bring this up to you gut-guys. Back when I was a chile, and playing gut strings (Stegosaurus gut) we used to rub a Brazil nut on them ever so often for lubrication and cleaning. Any of you ever try this?

8. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    :eyebrow:

I'll try it! Whenever I get the less-than-50% peanuts mixed nuts can, I usually toss out the brazils; now I can put them to use and never feel nut guilty again!
    I have yet to find straight lemon oil in stores, so have been using olive oil, which gets a little gummy...

9. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Hey Moped -- you might have better luck with straight mineral oil - basically baby oil without fragrance or color. Shouldn't gum up on you like the olive does.

10. Nut-guilty! There's a phrase you don't hear very often...

11. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks for the tip Mr. blue bass- I'll try it when my nuts are depleted- In any case, it's good to know my days of raiding the olive oil are over-

12. I use Mineral Oil for the neck/fingerboard on my bass as suggested by my luthier. I really like the feeling the neck (chestnut) gets with this oil.