1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

101 uses for a remington

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by moped10, Aug 4, 2004.

1. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    here's a trick I tried out with great success this morning:
    to players with plain guts (plain gut strings to you wiseacres)- the post-long-gig hairs on my strings drive me crazy and I've used nail clippers, fine grade sandpaper, etc., but this morning (instead of making the kids' lunches) I got out my remington electric razor- It worked so well (beard trimmer for the big hairs/circular blade for the smalls), I'm thinking of taking a case to the next rockabilly/bluegrass fest and selling them (priced to cover my expenses of course) :D

2. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    When I read the title I thought it was going to be something about 101 ways to shoot a drummer. :)

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I've heard of the old guys doing the same with a Zippo lighter.

4. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    I dunno, Ray, seems like it'd be tough to shoot a drummer with a Zippo lighter...

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It is a little slower, but much more gratifying.

6. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    as long as you leave enough fluid to do the guitarist-
    (wait, that doesn't sound right)

7. I've always wanted to remember to bring this up to you gut-guys. Back when I was a chile, and playing gut strings (Stegosaurus gut) we used to rub a Brazil nut on them ever so often for lubrication and cleaning. Any of you ever try this?

8. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    :eyebrow:

I'll try it! Whenever I get the less-than-50% peanuts mixed nuts can, I usually toss out the brazils; now I can put them to use and never feel nut guilty again!
    I have yet to find straight lemon oil in stores, so have been using olive oil, which gets a little gummy...

9. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Hey Moped -- you might have better luck with straight mineral oil - basically baby oil without fragrance or color. Shouldn't gum up on you like the olive does.

10. Nut-guilty! There's a phrase you don't hear very often...

11. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks for the tip Mr. blue bass- I'll try it when my nuts are depleted- In any case, it's good to know my days of raiding the olive oil are over-

12. I use Mineral Oil for the neck/fingerboard on my bass as suggested by my luthier. I really like the feeling the neck (chestnut) gets with this oil.