1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1099 K From PayPal -

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BostonJazz72, Jan 24, 2021.

1. BostonJazz72

BostonJazz72

Nov 30, 2010
    Chicago
    So today I received an email from PayPal saying my 1099K was available for download and that they would send it also to IRS. I don't recall this being a thing in the past. So basically, I need to pay taxes for any gains I received from selling gear in 2020? Does anyone have experience with reporting their 1099s? Does it mean I pay Federal and State tax on it? I briefly looked at Illinois tax law and says anything gained over 1K needs to be reported.

2. Sean150

Sean150

Jul 18, 2018
    I’d contact PayPal directly (from their site not contact info on the email). seems a bit scamish to me, but I am not familiar with US taxes.

3. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Subbed. No 1099 emails, but I’ve gotten some scam “PayPal account locked” emails lately. When logging in directly, everything was fine. I’ve changed my password a bunch this year, just in case.

I didn’t make a ton on PayPal this year, definitely spent more than earned, but I did have a few sales and gig payouts.

4. BostonJazz72

BostonJazz72

Nov 30, 2010
    Chicago
    The 1099 Form sees authentic to me. I logged into my PayPal account and downloaded it directly where they told me to. My main question is how much percent do I need to pay on my earings? Is it the same as the sales tax which in Illinois is very high. Or is it another amount?

herndonbassist and CallMeAl like this.
  5. BostonJazz72

BostonJazz72

Nov 30, 2010
    Chicago
    I just found this - 'Sold goods aren't taxable as income if you are selling a used personal item for less than the original value. If you flip it or sell it for more than the original cost, you have to pay taxes on the surplus as capital gains.Jul 12, 2019'. In my case - I have not sold anything for more than I bought it. I wish, but that is not the case. Seems like I need a tax accountant to understand this more.

Ronzo, J R Knots, Bogun and 14 others like this.
  6. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Great question. Now I’m self employed and all that crap goes through my account lol. I’ll check back if I learn/ see anything, but I’m in NY state so IDK if it’s different state to state. I’m actually meeting with him tomorrow, I’ll see what he says.

Ronzo and BostonJazz72 like this.
  7. BostonJazz72

BostonJazz72

Nov 30, 2010
    Chicago
    Also, if that is the case then why is PayPal sending a 1099 to IRS when they don't have the full details?

8. db59

db59 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2015
    Agree....still seems odd

9. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Because they're required to by law. You then have to "fill in details" in your tax return. Ugh. They just keep making tax life more difficult.

10. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Actually it looks like you understand it perfectly.

Sold goods aren't taxable as income if you are selling a used personal item for less than the original value.

mikewalker, Spidey2112, GregC and 3 others like this.
  11. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    I used to 1099 my gig earnings as that was my job. Taxable amounts and such were included in the booklet you’d get with the forms. That was in NY. Nowadays, my accountant does it for me. I would assume the old booklets are now PDFs. Each state would have its own set of tax rules and federal is the same across the board.
    Don’t forget to save all original supporting docs for 7-10 years jic

steelbed45 and mikewalker like this.
  12. Jazz4Me

Jazz4Me Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Central Illinois
    3rd party payment processors (i.e. PayPal) may produce a 1099-K if you received gross payments > $20,000 and 200 or more transactions. It does not necessarily mean you owe taxes on any of the proceeds, just that you might owe taxes on the proceeds. The volume and amount signals to the IRS that you might be operating as a business. 1099-K is reported on Schedule C. You'll have to do some research or talk to a tax expert on how to handle. Pretty certain if the IRS doesn't see a matching amount somewhere on your return, they'll send you a notice of unreported income.

13. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Pretty soon, all states will be doing this and they're hoping that you don't look into it and just pay the tax. IANAL, and maybe different states do things differently, but if you sell a personal item for less than you paid for it, you don't need to pay tax on the amount you received. We're getting close to the point that it might be better to just sell it to Guitar Center.

leto, ChipDougl4s and Admiral Akbar like this.
  14. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I got one too, I ignored since I only received one payment and it wasn’t much. Now me spending money is a whole nother thing lol

15. MD-BassPlayer

Jun 19, 2003
    Just hope it doesn't mean that I have to use the next version up of Turbo Tax for small business to file that and say that it does not apply. Looks like Maryland enacted it too. Basically they're trying to tell small businesses - we see you. And get some free money from people that will just pay.

BostonJazz72 likes this.
  16. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015
    PayPal is reporting to the IRS where their funds went.
    They're simply denoting transactions and movement of funds, like an employer reports your income to the IRS. Your tax liability is completely dependent on your personal situation.
    Whether you owe short, or long term capital gains tax on these transactions is dependent on your basis in said items, and how long you owned them.
    Go to IRS.gov and search for publications on capital gains and 1099k reporting. It's in PDF form, and they're usually very explanatory.

17. SLPimp

SLPimp An Injury to One is an Injury to All Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Happens when you take too much in via PayPal. I got this when I had an eBay business. Just one of those things.

BostonJazz72 likes this.
  18. BostonJazz72

BostonJazz72

Nov 30, 2010
    Chicago
    So if you are selling at a loss than what you bought then you should be ok? I wonder how it works for something that was gifted to you and then you decided to sell it. Thus, maybe someone gave you a coffee maker and you sold it for 50 bucks. Would the capital gains on that be a straight 50? ~Thanks!

19. MD-BassPlayer

Jun 19, 2003
    The value was given to you, as long as it's under the gift tax limit, it's yours. I used to be straight-laced on taxes until something happened that I can't talk about due to forum rules. If there are gray areas, I'm not paying it.

20. BostonJazz72

BostonJazz72

Nov 30, 2010
    Chicago
    Thanks!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021