1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

15 inch combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by leathertad, Jan 6, 2012.

1. leathertad

leathertad

Jan 6, 2012
    I am looking to buy a 15inch bass combo, to hire out for small gigs In the region of £500 new. but struggling to decide after reading reviews of new amps like ampeg 115 and peavey tour nothing seems to read that good. I am looking for something that most bassist's would be very happy with. any advice is appreciated.

2. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    I was doing gr8 with Ampeg BA115, got it for 250eur :)

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Find an Ampeg B100R.

4. +1

Great combo! My friend has one in his studio and they sound fantastic. They capture that Ampeg sound that you can't go wrong with, so I think that'd be a good choice for something that basically all - there's always exceptions - bassists will like. Check it out here.

Another cool option even though it isn't a 15, is the Ampeg Micro-VR Stack. That also captures the classic Ampeg vibe and can be found here new for just about your budget.

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Yes, for whatever reason, the Ampeg B-series capture the "ampeg sound". Would be desirable/enjoyed by a wide range of players. The slapper-tapper crowd may be better served with a GK.

6. Hartke gear is a great choice also. And there is no better customer service!

7. Markbass CMD151P

8. This one crossed my mind too, along with Jeff Berlin's combo from MB but I checked the UK sites and they're listed at 800+, over the OP's stated budget.

9. Oops, my conversion skills suck.

Pity, that's a good one.

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I used to have a Hartke Kickback15 that I wish I would've never sold. With a certain twisting of knobs, it had a loud thump on electric bass that sounded good and much louder than you expect coming from such a small thing. With it's inherent brightness and lack of deep lows, I would think it would make a pretty nice upright amp as well. Maybe not what you want for a wide variety of bassists coming through a studio but I really liked the thing. It rode in my front seat, strapped in like a little kid.

11. Yup, I like MarkBass' combos too. The OP would benefit from being in Europe as well, as the only qualms I've heard about MarkBass is how their warranties can be tricky to sort out in North America sometimes.

12. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    Is the Peavey TNT115 available in Europe? It's a 15" combo amp with a circuit for emulating a tube power section, which would help increase perceived volume substantially.

13. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    I've heard a ton of players who use and love those little GK MB(?) combos...not just the slappy tappy dudes either...I've seen upright players, country players, rock players...people seem well pleased with those...since the GK and Ampeg stuff are so different from one another, you really need to give them a try before you buy, I'd think.

Good luck!

14. I own a Peavey TNT15 which is good, but not everyone likes the sound of them. Features vary according to what year you buy.

Used the Ampeg in a rehearsal studio where it was the hire amp. Great sound, but think it would be too small for most gigging.

Used a couple of Laneys that I liked the sound of, but the one I owned was not very reliable.

15. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    What about a Trace Elliot ?

16. Ampeg PF350/500 & PF115 cab. The PF amps attach to the cab to form a wonderful combo-sounds great & looks great. Win win!

17. Is the bass your only instrument? The bassest for a hotel group in Asheville, NC uses the Accoustic 15" combo for both his Carvin 5-string and a Fender tele. Neither sound fantastic but both sound fine for what he needs. They play in the lobby so they never play loud. That solution saves both money and space (on their tiny stage.)

18. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    GK MB115...

19. This.

Plus, you could add a second cab, down the road...