1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

16 ohm cab with SVT4 Pro Power Amp Section?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by permadave, Jul 1, 2019.

1. permadave

permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    Was curious if it's damaging at all to the SVT4 Pro (or to a cab) to run a Sansamp guitar preamp pedal into the poweramp section and then out to a 16ohm 1x12 cab with an 80w speaker. The amp can handle as low as 2 ohms, but only lists power stats up to 8 ohms in the manual.

Assuming going higher in this instance would be ok, just not lower than 2, right? The manual says it'd be 350W at 8 ohms using power amp section A or B of the amp.

2. An 80w 16ohm 12 sounds like a guitar cab. Even if it is a bass cab your only problem is to not blow it up.

permadave and JimmyM like this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Right. A 4 Pro will handle a 16 ohm load fine. But I would never bridge it with that cab, and I'd keep a real good eye on volume and bass response.

permadave likes this.
  4. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    16 ohms is a easy smeasy load.
    Do that just fine.

permadave likes this.
  5. permadave

permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    Sorry, forgot to mention the intent is to use the power amp section of my bass amp to power a guitar preamp and cab. Sounds like it might be too powerful for that purpose.

6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Should be okay. Start low and ease into it.

It is very powerful, yes. If you use it wisely you are good to go.

7. hell to the no way Hosé on that one. If you plug a amp speaker output into anything but a speaker you wind up with a whole lot of smoke. Maybe that is not what you meant. Playing it safe while we figure out what you are up to. That means stop with the plugging stuff in before the smoke gets out and tell us more.

JimmyM likes this.
  8. permadave

permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    This would be the path: Guitar to Sansamp. Sansamp to SVT 4 power amp A input. Then, speaker out to 16ohm cab. So the amp wouldn't be bridged, but still sounds like too much power for an 80w speaker.

9. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    You will have about 175 watts RMS available to that 80 Watt cab and if they are like most other cabs that is the thermal rating where the speaker fails.

Rip Van Dan and permadave like this.
  10. That's all fine until you turn up too loud. Play with clean tone to find where the speaker starts to say ''enough already Ima gonna blow''. Hopefully that will temper your ambitions for rocking it out.

You didn't say what kind of cab / driver it is.

Your big problem is the sansamp has multiple high gain inducing knobs. Drive Bass and Output Level all contribute to the overall output.

You need to be wary of the sansamp overdrive sound at volume. It will be hard to distinguish that from your speaker giving up the ghost.

permadave likes this.
  11. permadave

permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    Thanks, all. It's an Avatar G112 with Celestion lead 80. But could potentially swap out with a swamp thang, which I think can take 150w. But probably just cheaper/easier to get a used power amp off CL.

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

But will the ‘Swamp Thang’, which is no doubt a guitar driver, be happy with the size and porting of the cabinet?

13. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    The G112 is a guitar cab with an open back, or an option to close it with a conversion panel.

It will probably fare just fine.

14. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

For bass??

15. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Pretty sure OP is planning on running a skinny stringer through this set up

16. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Then what the heck is he doing in a BASS forum?

17. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Well, he has been a member for 15 years. I gather he is a bass player.

He was double checking here that it would be safe to use existing equipment.

18. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I didn’t get that from the OP.

19. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Then I am wrong. But he used the word guitar a number of times where the word bass would have been appropriate.

Did you read all 4 of his posts?

20. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Yup!

charlie monroe likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021