1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

$17,000.00 for a Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Buzz, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
  2. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Probably less than $200. :)

3. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Inactive

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    Wow it must really sound good :) And they just don't make them that sloppy anymore.

[​IMG]

4. Herrlster

Herrlster

Oct 27, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Okay, we alway see these basses selling for an extremely high price like that, but do we actually see people buying them for that extremely high price?

5. The Penguin

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    Yes, and often they try to resell it for even more. Similar to flipping real estate, much of the vintage market is the vintage seller.

6. I think they went for about $1000 back in the day. They were never very inexpensive.

7. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    You're kidding, right? :eyebrow:

8. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I seem to recall that the Jazz Bass I bought new (wish I still had it!) in 1964 was about $450-475.

9. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    Yeah man, I think that's more than cars went for.

10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I think they went for something around $350 in 1965, back in Kansas City. :ninja:

That is assuming new, not used.

Used??....hmmm, how about $250.....OK, will you take $275??? :bag:

11. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Inactive

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    It wasn't made sloppy... those old pickguards shrink

and when they sold for $450 or so, new cars sold for about $2000 or so.

So very loosely put... in 1965 A fender bass sold for $5000 of today's dollars.

So if you had bought a bunch of fender basses in the early 60s and kept them mint would it have really been a good investment, or could you have made more investing in something else.

It would have been a good investment if they were all custom colors with custom options and early years are the best (but is not being able to play them a good investment? to each his own.) If they were all a standard 1965 common color it would have been better to invest in many other things in strict money terms. If they were all !960-1962 custom colors than it would be much harder to find a better investment.... LEs Paul guitars and earlier Fender guitars.

Here is why the vintage market is exploding... There are a limited number of instruments, there will never be any more, only less. The world's population doubles every 30 or so years now, and I would bet anything that over the last 40 years the number of musicians has WAY MORE than doubled... probably atleast 10 times more by percentage. Plus the number of people who buy instruments as investments is probably 100 times more than in the 70s and 80s and continues to go up. That and the psychological implications of everyone thinking they are rare, and they are Americana because they are the first high quality brand burned into our consciousness. These instruments will continue to skyrocket.

12. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    +1 old PG's shrink over time.

You can nitpick this instrument apart, but this is probable the finest example of a vintage instrument I have seen. And considering I live in town, i'm going to go play it now. :) Jut cuz.

13. The Penguin

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    Looks like the necks shrink too :)

[​IMG]

I guess that's not really a huge gap in the neck pocket, it's a tone slot which increases resonance.

14. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Actually this bass most likely sold for well under 400 bucks.
    In the late 70's I remember most new J-Basses going for
    around $389.00. to $432.00. Oh yeah most of my friends
    worked in the music/guitar stores back then and we got to
    hang out and mess around with a lot of the then new toys
    of the day.
    When I was 16 years old in 1972 a new P- Bass was listed at
    $289.00 full retail but you had to pay extra for a case. Those
    days are long gone.

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    In 65 a Fender J bass was less than $500.

16. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    If you do go up there, and you should, I'd be curious to find out if they got this on trade, at a private auction, an estate sale or from a collector.

B.

17. Id rather buy a used car and a few other basses for that price.

18. Unless that bass has been kept in a vault it looks too good to be true easpecialy the headstock transfers, to compare I've attached a rather poor shot of my 1965 Fender Jazz Bass's headstock that I bought new in 1966 I paid £107 UK $210 USD whilst serving with the British Army in Cyprus.
    I sold it for £3500 UK $6900 USD around Dec 2003.

19. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Inactive

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    When I find the bass of doom I am getting me a NOS 62 stack knob custom color!

20. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I remember a 70 p bass being around $215 bucks so a jazz wasn't that much more.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021