1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

180.- Power cable? You've got to be kidding!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Did you guys check the test for the high end power cables in the new Bass Player magazine?
    I wonder how much they got paid to say there is an audible difference?
    Makes you wonder how objective all the other BP equipment reviews are....

2. I feel they've just let you know how objective their reviews are.

3. Amazing how 4' of cable somehow makes up for the miles of crappy nightclub wiring you're plugging it into. Really, really amazing. I'd say $180 for that is a bargain, wouldn't you?

4. I can buy a 75' roll of 14 gauge copper wire for half that - which is what one end of that ridiculous cable would be plugged into.

5. A a very vague stab in the dark, but I assume said cable performs some sort of earthing black magic to get rid of hum. If so I might consider paying extra for a cable like that, but certainly not that much.

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Another product with incredible profit potential, designed for the clueless to buy.

7. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    While I am personally in the skeptical camp as far as the BP claims, I know some degreed and extremely knowledgeable audiophile types who are of the opinion that there is indeed a perceptible difference in power cords.
    Theoretically, it does makes sense to a degree; I certainly wouldn’t run 18 gauge zip cord to a 1000 watt power amp, and there could be a benefit as far as hum cancellation and RF interference.
    I might pay $18. :smug:
    I wonder how many of these cords are actually sold for $180? Maybe I'm in the wrong business...

8. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  9. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    You can't imagine that? I sure can!

10. thetawaves

thetawaves

Dec 29, 2006
    My initial thoughts where that how on earth is about 4 overpriced feet of this supposed uber messiah cable going to make up for the aeons of cruddy decades-old cable leading up to it via the national grid?

Fair enough if you happen to be REALLY close to a power sub-station, but a bit of a no-brainer otherwise...surely?

I think it's probably a psychosomatic issue; where you've just paid stupid amounts for a gimic and are hoping beyond all hope and making yourself believe it was worth it.

11. kevinmoore73

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
  12. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    I'm surprised Monster Cable isn't making this. It seems right up their alley.

13. thetawaves

thetawaves

Dec 29, 2006
    strewth bruce! I personally hope that includes solid gold/iridium leads all the way to your friendly neighbourhood power station.

14. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

BP have recently been doing a couple cable reviews usually giving them glowing reviews with emphasis on tone change.

15. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Yep - I've posted this same thought previously. But them that want to believe are not to be swayed - especially if they just shelled out or have ad revenue to weigh ; }

16. kevinmoore73

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't know about that, but they do have, "very smooth burn in"! :eyebrow:

17. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    What would be of all the bass tone gods out there without this cable? I bet they won't even step in a studio without such cables. :)

18. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

I think Victor endorsed those cables IIRC.

19. This one?

20. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    People usually endorse things if they get paid to do so. It doesn't hurt. I bet it won't make the sound worse. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.