1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1958 Survivor P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Playbyear, Mar 25, 2020.

1. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Off the top of my head, Michael League from Snarky Puppy tours with an original late 50's Precision.

imabuddha and james condino like this.
  2. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    I don't see any problem for an average guy to go out and gig with a bass like this. The market is so saturated with poser fake relics that everyone just assumes it is a fake. Keep a low profile and don't brag it up when asked by complete strangers on the job- tell them it is a $600 Chinese forgery...

I know mandolin guys who gig with a 1925 Lloyd Loar signed F5 and guitar guys who gig with late '50s original Les Pauls who do that. Everyone always gets a laugh and says, "I thought so but it looks good from a distance...."

imabuddha and mikeswals like this.
  3. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    No, nostalgia is slowly going the way of the Dodo and may soon die right off. ... Then what happens to these god like items? ... The present day insecurity is a clear indication to all to 'expect change'.

mikeswals likes this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Everyone loves nostalgia, but in techno world, nobody wants to deal with the baggage of old tech. But if it were easier to deal with it, old tech would be just as popular as anything.

imabuddha likes this.
  5. I’ve seen him on “Rig Rundown” with one. When I saw them play here in Sydney he was using a Kessel(?) or something of the like. Sounded good though!

6. Playbyear

Playbyear

Nov 20, 2019
    MA
    I suppose if it’s in your possession at all times.
    I’ve seen a few stolen from bands I was working with including a 1959 Gibson ES-175 and a 1968 ES-335. It’s just sickening when they’re gone.

7. flatwound62p

flatwound62p

Apr 24, 2017
    Australia
    Far more likely to get stolen by someone with zero idea of the value and sold for peanuts to satisfy an urgent “need”.

Wisebass and Playbyear like this.
  8. Playbyear

Playbyear

Nov 20, 2019
    MA
    Yes, wait for an opportune moment, grab and run.

Wisebass and flatwound62p like this.
  9. Very true, but while newer basses come and go the P keeps on thumping!

JimmyM and Playbyear like this.
  10. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Gotta love a "mut" , a lovable and faithful companion

11. $14,000.00?

Let's say, I have the money...

Let's say I like the feel and sound...

Say I put a sweaty grip of cash on the table....

I promise you that that Bass goes buy-buy with me, from a private seller, for no more than $9000.00!

I would point out that I can likely insure it for what the seller is asking, but a total loss would be hard to prove at $14,000.00 and $10,000.00 cash, for any Bass, is a tough sell in any limited market. There is $9000.00 cash on the table, it could be a real long time before there is a bigger pile on the table!

I, personally, have a good time turning a Bass into something cooler, more vibie, performing and sounding better and spending so much less money. It's more creative and fun than ending up thinking;

"It's going to be a real long time before I have another $10,000.00 to put on a table to buy a beat up old Bass that belongs in a museum on the wall..!"

But, hey, if I ever get to a point where "I'm passing out $100 bills, and it kills, and it thrills like the horns on my Silverado grill..."

Who, knows?