1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1958 Survivor P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Playbyear, Mar 25, 2020.

1. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    If it was a fiver I’d be all over it.

2. FishDub

FishDub Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Very true..Every bass seems to be climbing in price, even the non-vintage. You cant touch a Thumb BO for less than 1200 when they used to go for 7-800 used. I used to own a Streamer Pro-M that I picked up for 600 in mint condition that are now listed for 12-1500 as we speak. Lets not even get into Steinbergers and Pre-ernie basses..

imabuddha likes this.
  3. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    That's one of them Road Worns! Relicing is SO LAME.

4. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    So $14k for original finish sounds right!

5. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    A little beat to actually own and play, for my taste...but it's cool to look at. A '58 gold guard is the vintage P that I hope to own some day. No way it's worth $14,000. Much nicer '58s sell for that.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Gorgeous, but I'm glad I don't care for the rounder fretboards of these basses because getting one would be a lot more tempting to me than it is otherwise.

jamro217 and bassnat like this.
  7. If anybody out there has the ability to fake relic a bass to that degree, well my hats off to them.

8. I really like the rounder radius of old Fenders; my hard puncher is the same and it’s an interesting contrast with the flat board of my streamer. It reminds me of my father’s old telecaster which was the first guitar I played.

The price of these old P basses is high, but compared to guitars of the same period they’re relatively affordable… :roflmao:

9. MichelD

MichelD

May 19, 2014
    I could never put that much money into something I'd have to keep locked in a safe.

I play bass to well, ummm....play bass, so I own player basses.

imabuddha likes this.
  10. Playbyear

Playbyear

Nov 20, 2019
    MA
    “Patina finish” is very popular with collector cars nowadays.
    A near mint original finish is the most valuable, but a patina finish that would previously be considered “needs restoration” is sought after and fetching a lot of money.

I’m thinking this applies to guitars and basses too.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    With guitars and basses, people tend to think "This mint 59 P looks too good to be a good player" and "The ones that look like they've played constantly for decades are the real players." And car owners think, "Who's that rustbucket going to impress at the car show except a bunch of kids?"

imabuddha likes this.
  12. Playbyear

Playbyear

Nov 20, 2019
    MA
    The scene really goes for stuff like this 59.
    IDK if it’s going to stay in style, but it’s hot now.

FA5C0C7F-0E2F-4D4D-8287-0DBE26D40353.jpeg

13. Hard to say, right? :D Surfing Reverb I'm seeing asking prices that are more or less than that. It's the sold price that matters. Someone will buy it eventually, the only question is for how much.

imabuddha likes this.
  14. Very neat.

15. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Really hard to say which way. I have lots of them in my watch lists and they're just sitting and sitting and sitting, some for a coupe of years now.
    I also tried throwing my all original 65 in there at a price under all the others and it had no action so I pulled it.

imabuddha and Mastermold like this.
  16. Maybe if the bass had a tort pick guard it might be worth $14k

bobyoung53 likes this.
  17. I wouldn't pay anywhere near that price and that condition detracts from the price at least to me. I would say that's an 8K bass. I also couldn't believe when reliced cars because the fashion, hopefully that will just be a passing fad like reliced basses:woot:.

Belka and imabuddha like this.
  18. casualmadness

casualmadness Man About Town Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2005
    I agree wholeheartedly. But I did have a professor at Berklee who paid $15K for a 60’s era jazz. It was showroom new looking and sounded like electric sex. To be fair-he taught at Berklee and did lots of high profile gig. For the average idiot like me, 15 large for a bass?!?! Nope. No way no day. But man that thing sure sounded sweet.

imabuddha likes this.
  19. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Beautiful bass. Not only a '58, but an early '58. The vintage market prices are exclusive and prohibitive for most of us. Good thing, too. If they were giving away instruments like this there'd no doubt be more horribly mutilated specimens in the classified section. "Gee, Gord, cool the way you cut that '58 P into a teardrop just like Geddy's!!!" 'Nuff said.

20. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    The price and authenticity of the instrument, is what the seller is counting upon to inspire a buyer to trigger the theory of supply and demand relational to the desire of the consumer for a vintage instrument. There is a consumer out there, somewhere, that will pull the trigger. Hell, if I had the disposable income, I would negotiate.

Kubicki Fan likes this.