1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1965 Fender Bass V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by woodsideh, Jan 31, 2011.

1. woodsideh

woodsideh

Feb 19, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I saw this on CL today. I need to preface that I am not associated with the seller. I thought this was a really cool bass. Does anyone know anything about these? I really didn't know there were 5 string basses around in the 60's.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/msg/2189862361.html

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Super rare piece there. Leo designed the 5 string - it just didn't catch on enough to keep manufacturing them

3. woodsideh

woodsideh

Feb 19, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    That's amazing. Were they set up BEADG? If so, I bet it was tough to find strings.

4. chi-town_mike

chi-town_mike

Dec 11, 2010
    Formerly chicago_mike
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz
    These are rare but for a while NOT collectable. Really only to Fender collectors / period piece collectors.

Pickup is like a mustang pickup, elongated. Its tuned E - C. JPJ used one with Zepplin here and there.

During the horrid CBS years..like the Coronado and Starcaster and other mistakes.

5. tifftunes

tifftunes Guest

Though judging by the string silk, might be tough to get proper strings for...

It appears to have the Mustang body, and a short scale (possibly 32 inch?)...

I have seen a few, but never played any. I'm guessing it's a very close cousin to the Bass VI, with a slightly thicker string gauge. Probably still in the "Baritone" range, like the Bass VI...

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i liked those bass V's. the CL listing says that there were only 2 of them made? i've actually played more than five of them just like it.

7. woodsideh

woodsideh

Feb 19, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I thought it looked like a stretched Mustang body. Wasn't sure if it was the photos.

8. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland
    Notice the scale length.... Only 15 frets!

9. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    next bass build idea, John???

10. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I've seen a pic of Jamerson playing one.

11. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    These aren't really *that* rare. The come up for sale fairly often. The reason it didn't catch on is because it wasn't a good sounding instrument. As someone else mentioned, these are attractive to Fender collectors only.

12. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    It's tuned E A D G C, and it's only got 15 frets, so it only goes to Eb anyway, just like a Precision. It is however a full 34" scale, but only 15 frets. It was designed to make it easier to play across the neck instead of up and down. No more range than a P or a J, and quite different from anything else, plus Leo ran into the same problems a lot of 5-string P basses had early on- getting the two coils to sound balanced when one has to be longer than the other.

John

13. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Really? I've hardly ever seen these for sale anywhere...

14. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I think what he means is they are very popular with collectors or players.

15. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Over the years I've seen a lot of these around. Used to be I couldn't go to a guitar show and not see one.

16. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    As said earlier, John Paul Jones used one during Zeppelin's US tour 1973. He had a sunburst model with a block neck. Cheap Trick's Tom Petersson had one too, a dot neck model he plays here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVfHKEKYRk0

It was also perhaps the first bass with the split coil pickup reversed, like Yamaha did in the late seventies.

17. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    34" scale.

Dave Pomeroy Article in BP about Bass V

The article briefly discusses stringing it BEADG.

18. knuppe

knuppe

Oct 25, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    I canĀ“t find that picture through Google. Anyone who can find a picture of Jamerson playing the Fender Bass V?

19. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy

Nov 24, 2010
    Central Alberta
    ...Would this have been what Lennon would have played on Helter Skelter?

20. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    I think he is thinking of the Spinal Tap Bass VI.

:smug: