1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1980's Crate CR-285B Bass Amplifier information thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scuzzy, Oct 16, 2017.

1. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Just making this thread as a resource for (the few) people who search and are interested. I found little information online regarding this amplifier but feel its solid enough and unique enough to post in case others want a resource. If anyone reads and has anything to contribute, please do. I use forums constantly for my used gear purchases.

It is a mid to late 1980's model Crate solid state bass amplifier. Internal and External speaker outputs that say 2ohm stable. 150 watts at 4 ohms. Made in the USA at the SLM factory in St. Louis Missouri.

ek3wn4.
    11mdorc.
    33oilnc.
    2qci70k.
    qqriiq.
    2mwwj9j.

I did some EQ plotting on my cell phone. Started flat with my DP custom scroll. Just plucked the A string and paused the graph. I did one with the amp flat and one for each control manipulation. The findings are as follows.

FLAT
    6ppa8l.

LOW MAXED
    25jxobt.

MID MAXED
    s47x4m.

HIGH MAXED
    dhe721.

BRIGHT SWITCH ON
    2rdx07s.

WARMTH MAXED
    211v20x.

PRESENCE MAXED
    23igx1f.

2. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    So, after playing on this amp through my B15 cab, it just sounds amazing. I want to take it up to the church I play at instead of my other rig, but we run DI out of an RBI head, and this old crate only has a line out. We don't have a sufficient mic for a bass cab. Any thoughts? How different is a line out from a modern DI?

3. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    what app is that?

4. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Cool old head; I used to have a CR-160 1 x 12 guitar combo from the same era, with similar cosmetics. As I recall it had a pretty low-to-medium gain dirty channel with a nice warm sound. Of course that was in the early 90s and I wanted something that sounded like a Soldano then. Wish I still had it.

Looks like it's got some nice features for bass.

5. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Line outs are "unbalanced" signals, just a "hot" and "ground". A balanced output, by contrast has a "+" , a "-" and a ground. Having the + and - line helps cancel hum, similar to a humbucking pickup. Just connect the line out to an standard (passive or active) DI box using an instrument cable. The DI converts the unbalanced signal to a balanced signal which is best for feeding a PA system, and also provide electrical isolation to prevent ground loops.

mexicanyella and scuzzy like this.
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Here is the manual:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  7. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    nice! i think i searched, and i think i couldn't find it. so a heart-felt thank you.

and now i gotta find the matching 2x15" cab. thanks.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    beans-on-toast likes this.
  8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The schematic is on the ampeg site. Never hurts to grab a copy in case a repair is required. It isn’t something that I can post but you can get it. Just enter the model number in the search window.

Support Loudtech

scuzzy likes this.
  9. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    i know crate can be a bad word in the instrument world, but this amp truly has a great sound. even my brother in law, who is a good guitarist and a very good audio engineer said it sounded great on guitar, for a nice clean tone. handles pedals great as well. the ampeg b15 cab probably has a bit to do with it all as well. it's a nice package.

beans-on-toast likes this.