1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 1995 Alembic Elan 5 string - REDUCED $2800.00

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by cheesybass, Apr 2, 2015.

1. cheesybass

cheesybass

Apr 10, 2005
    Price:
    Strings:
    I'm now accepting Paypal.

For Sale: ’95 Alembic Elan 5 string. The body is 5A quilt maple on maple, the neck has an ebony fingerboard on maple w/walnut veneers and is 34” scale. The controls are vol, pan and filter with q-switch and the pickups are an AXY56 at the neck and a Fatboy at the bridge. It has Schaller strap locks and tuners. The bass was purchased used in 2003 and sent back to Alembic for an overhaul. At that time it was refinished in Wineburst, the brass hardware was cleaned up and restored, the bronze Alembic logo and script were upgraded with 24k gold versions, the plastic truss rod cover and back plate were upgraded with brass versions, the bridge pickup was replaced and I got a new case. A year later, I added FretFX side markers and replaced the bridge pickup with a Fatboy. Hardshell case w/keys and Moodys strap included. Price: $2800.00 which includes shipping in the US.

More pictures here: Alembic Club: 95 Elan 5 in Wineburst

Paypal, cashiers check or money order accepted. Ships in the USA only.

DSC04592.

DSC04593.
    DSC04594.
    DSC04608.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    jazzyvee likes this.
  2. Up the dose

Up the dose

Mar 10, 2013
    Wow! Stunning! One of the nicest basses I've ever seen! You did a beautiful job restoring this instrument.
    GLWTS!

jazzyvee likes this.
  3. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Wow! What a beauty. Love that finish.

jazzyvee likes this.
  4. Beautiful!!! Any trade interest?

5. cheesybass

cheesybass

Apr 10, 2005
    Thank you for the kind comments but I'm looking to sell the bass.

jazzyvee likes this.
  6. cheesybass

cheesybass

Apr 10, 2005
    I have reduced the price of my Elan to $2800.00 which includes shipping in the US.

7. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Outstanding!!

8. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I wish I could justify buying this. Good luck with the sale.

jazzyvee likes this.
  9. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    wow! that thing is cherry (pardon the pun) for 20 years old... and $2800 for a neck thru Alembic is a steal! you're not asking enough! But the used market is depressed these days..

10. swpyne

swpyne Basses R Loaded! Gold Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    Beautiful Alembic, can you tell me the weight?

11. cheesybass

cheesybass

Apr 10, 2005
    Again, thank you guys for the kind comments regarding the bass. It is absolutely beautiful and it sounds every bit as good as it looks. The weight of this solid maple monster is 12.5 lbs. That's why I am including the 4" wide Moody's leather strap in the sale. The strap definitely helps to mitigate potential weight issues. Thanks again for looking!

12. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    It's an Alembic, if weight is a concern, he's looking at the wrong brand ;) Part of what makes these sound so amazing is their heft and mass. You should post a close up of the bridge so people can see that hefty solid brass block it's mounted on!

BTW, I have that same strap on two of my basses, it's amazing how much it helps distribute the weight.. this even more so makes this a smoking deal as the strap is $130 as I recall. At this price, I can't believe this bass is still here.

13. cheesybass

cheesybass

Apr 10, 2005
    Yep, the bass has a brass bridge, a brass tone block under the bridge, a brass tail piece, a brass truss rod cover and a brass control plate. I guess it's the best bass for metal! The Moody's strap absolutely helps. BTW, nice score on the Mark King, it's a beaut!

SamJ likes this.
  14. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    What is the string spacing at nut and bridge?

15. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    unless it's a custom spec, the nut on 99% of Alembic 5's is 1.875" and the 24th fret is 2.930

16. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Which is what at the bridge?

17. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Back in the 90's I played my bud's 5 string Elan. To this day, that still is the nicest instrument I've ever had my hands on. I was used to playing with medium action, and his was so incredibly low, it was almost difficult for me to play. His tone with that bass, was just plain sick. His was nice looking, but no where near as nice as that beauty you have there. Sadly, I can no longer deal with the weight, or I would have jumped the moment I saw yours. Someone will be quite pleased.

18. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    he'll have to measure it as Alembic doesn't give a number, but It does look like a standard Alembic bridge with one extra space.

19. cheesybass

cheesybass

Apr 10, 2005
    Sam nailed it, the nut width is 1.875” and at the 24th fret, I get 2.9”
    And measuring the bridge, string-to-string I get 16mm, and string-center-to-string-center is 18mm.

Somebody is going to get a really great bass, for sure. Thanks for looking!

SamJ likes this.
  20. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    Btw... It's worth mention (among other firsts), Alembic made the first 5 sting bass with BEADG tuning. Lots of history behind that company.

jazzyvee likes this.